+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Kijiji.com Legit for Rentals?

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
Hi guys,

I am an international student that will be moving to Ontario for my college sometime later in December this year.

At this moment, I am still planning the actual date to fly over, and am looking to source for accommodation for at least a semester. May extend my stay for another semester, depending on where my work placement location will be.

Because I am a single male, it is kind of challenging to find a place considering that there is a general preference to want to rent to female tenants.
I found one specific site Kijiji.com, in it there seems to be a good number of available options that are in close proximity with my school.

However, I am not sure if these listings are legitimate or not.

Can someone share your review about this site? Are there any lease agreements that you need to sign when you are renting via this site?
Also, please let me know if there are any T&Cs, pros & cons or anything that I need to look out for when sourcing for a place through this platform.

Thanks~~

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
I rented my current house from Kijiji. It's safe as you get to meet the landlord before anything sign or deposit. But there are absolutely scams on Kijiji so my bet is to stay away from "too good to be true" offers and always meet your landlord first.

Reactions: YVR123

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
I rented my current house from Kijiji. It's safe as you get to meet the landlord before anything sign or deposit. But there are absolutely scams on Kijiji so my bet is to stay away from "too good to be true" offers and always meet your landlord first.
So did you enter into a lease agreement with your landlord?
Well even if you do meet the landlord in person, there is no guarantee that you'll be safe too, if they are out to scam you.

There are websites such as Place4students recommended by my college. However, these apartments will require a guarantor, or they need you to be committed to a tenancy agreement for at least 8-12 months.

I am coming to Canada alone as a total stranger. So there is no way for me to meet any landlords in advance. Since I duno anybody there yet, I wun be able to come up with any guarantors. I am looking only for short term stays, so locking myself into lease agreements is a no no for me.

Can anybody provide any suggestions for my situation?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So did you enter into a lease agreement with your landlord?
Well even if you do meet the landlord in person, there is no guarantee that you'll be safe too, if they are out to scam you.

There are websites such as Place4students recommended by my college. However, these apartments will require a guarantor, or they need you to be committed to a tenancy agreement for at least 8-12 months.

I am coming to Canada alone as a total stranger. So there is no way for me to meet any landlords in advance. Since I duno anybody there yet, I wun be able to come up with any guarantors. I am looking only for short term stays, so locking myself into lease agreements is a no no for me.

Can anybody provide any suggestions for my situation?
most rental requires at least 6 months if not a year of rental agreement. If you want short term rental, then try air B&B.

Last edited:

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
You know you can always ask for landlord's ID and proof of ownership (tax papers, etc..) right? But the problem here is no one will rent you a house/a room without actually meet you in person. So airbnb is a good way to go.

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
You know you can always ask for landlord's ID and proof of ownership (tax papers, etc..) right? But the problem here is no one will rent you a house/a room without actually meet you in person. So airbnb is a good way to go.
I did tried looking at Airbnb. However, there is barely any location I can find that is in close vicinity of my school. Either they are at least an hour's commute away, or they dun have amenities like washing machine, or they are basement rooms (which I read somewhere are illegal).

There is one close by location at a competitive rate, which on the app shows its open for reservation, yet the owner replied me to say the one staying with her now has decided to extend til next year July. So why is she still having her place open on the app then?

My other option will be doing on campus residence. But damn, those on campus stays really exist to fleece international students. They cost an arm and a leg. Just the rent for a month alone exceeds 1,000 CAD, and that does not even include meal costs !

You already spent a king's ransom for your tuition fees, unless you somehow own a gold mine, I really cannot imagine dishing out that much extra dough just to stay on campus.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

I am an international student that will be moving to Ontario for my college sometime later in December this year.

At this moment, I am still planning the actual date to fly over, and am looking to source for accommodation for at least a semester. May extend my stay for another semester, depending on where my work placement location will be.

Because I am a single male, it is kind of challenging to find a place considering that there is a general preference to want to rent to female tenants.
I found one specific site Kijiji.com, in it there seems to be a good number of available options that are in close proximity with my school.

Can someone share your review about this site? Are there any lease agreements that you need to sign when you are renting via this site?
Also, please let me know if there are any T&Cs, pros & cons or anything that I need to look out for when sourcing for a place through this platform.

Thanks~~
I would personally only rent through kijiji if you are in Canada and can visit the rental unit in person. There are way too many scams and also places where the ads aren't accurate or misrepresent the rental. You don't want to end up in some illegal rooming house.

I would rent for a few weeks through airbnb when you first arrive and then find a place. Another alternative is to live on campus - although as you've said, that expensive. Yet another options is to work with a reputable real estate agent in Canada to find you a place.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I did tried looking at Airbnb. However, there is barely any location I can find that is in close vicinity of my school. Either they are at least an hour's commute away, or they dun have amenities like washing machine, or they are basement rooms (which I read somewhere are illegal).

There is one close by location at a competitive rate, which on the app shows its open for reservation, yet the owner replied me to say the one staying with her now has decided to extend til next year July. So why is she still having her place open on the app then?

My other option will be doing on campus residence. But damn, those on campus stays really exist to fleece international students. They cost an arm and a leg. Just the rent for a month alone exceeds 1,000 CAD, and that does not even include meal costs !

You already spent a king's ransom for your tuition fees, unless you somehow own a gold mine, I really cannot imagine dishing out that much extra dough just to stay on campus.
If you are only looking for a shorterm commitment for a semester during the winter including part of December you will likely pay a premium. Canada usually operates on a 1 year lease. you are in a larger city you are likely to have a lot of basement options if you are looking at a lower price point. Rentals also are only posted 1-2 months in advance of availability. Most landlords want to meet people in person although some higher end rentals are less picky if they see proof of funds and your LinkedIn page.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Hi guys,

Thanks~~
1. There are NO genuine source of rentals. Kijiji etc are classified section services. The validity of rental need to be determined by the renter.
2. 1 semester is about 6-8 months that is still considered "short term" rental.
3. You will do better if you look for hostal or short term furnished accommodation.
4. Depending upon where you are, you will need to be on the ground to quickly see the place and rent it out. Short term rentals can be volatile. Look at the vaccancy rate of the city to determine the rental condition of the place.
5. If you are renting out an accomodation, there is a standard rental form. But for short term rental, there is none. There can be different arrangement in terms of terms and conditions. Short term rentals are run in a way similar to hotels.
6. Talk to your college, there will be people who can help you. All major DLIs have some support for people to find accomodation.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Education as a foreign student is not cheap at all. My wife is a student but if she had not been living with me (full time worker), it would have been a royal pain to manage accommodation.

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
I would personally only rent through kijiji if you are in Canada and can visit the rental unit in person. There are way too many scams and also places where the ads aren't accurate or misrepresent the rental. You don't want to end up in some illegal rooming house.

I would rent for a few weeks through airbnb when you first arrive and then find a place. Another alternative is to live on campus - although as you've said, that expensive. Yet another options is to work with a reputable real estate agent in Canada to find you a place.

Who would these reputable real estate agents be? Do you have any recommendations?

I find another site called Homadorma.

Any reviews on this anyone?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Who would these reputable real estate agents be? Do you have any recommendations?

How about those public listed companies in the Toronto Stock Exchange such as First Service Residential?

Wilyote

Apr 25, 2021
I think it's legit. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I know several people that have found places on there.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

In Canada there aren’t real estate agents that only deal with rentals. Most of the rentals where a real estate agent is involved usually are higher end rentals. Depending on where you are living there are different websites that post available rentals. Some buildings had applications processes and May either have an office onsite or somewhere in the city.