+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it worth to retake the Celpip?

mvmt

Jan 29, 2015
Hi there!

I'm sitting at 419 CRS points and I'm considering to retake the Celpip, to see if I can add a few more points, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it or not.
My previous exam was not bad, except for the speaking: L: 12 - R:12 - W: 10 - S: 8
So this time I'll be trying to boost my speaking to 9

Can anyone tell me how many more points should I get if I make it?

I'm a CEC category, master's degree, 5 years experience outside Canada, married. I haven't claimed any points for my husband, though.

Thanks for your help!

Reginald

Jun 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
SCH A Oct 20
AOR Received.
Sep 24
It depends on the NOC of your job. This link might help: cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language.asp

I don't know much about CEC. If it was FSW, increasing your speaking score to minimum CLB 9 while keeping the others constant will fetch you an additional 50 points. Don't know if it's same for CEC.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mvmt said:
Hi there!

I'm sitting at 419 CRS points and I'm considering to retake the Celpip, to see if I can add a few more points, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it or not.
My previous exam was not bad, except for the speaking: L: 12 - R:12 - W: 10 - S: 8
So this time I'll be trying to boost my speaking to 9

Can anyone tell me how many more points should I get if I make it?

I'm a CEC category, master's degree, 5 years experience outside Canada, married. I haven't claimed any points for my husband, though.

Thanks for your help!
If you can get 9 in Speaking, that will considerably bump up your CRS score because it will affect your Skills Transferability section.

Definitely worth re-evaluating (if possible) or retaking the test.

All the best!

riddymon

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
419 isn't a bad score...the question is, will it raise your points enough to warrant spending another $200+ for the test. I've always felt like this is the kind of test where retaking it will not really increase your score significantly as you can't really increase your language proficiency in such a short period of time (assuming you do it with weeks of retaking it). It's up to you though....if I was you, I'd maybe focus on increasing your score through provincial nomination if possible. If you're in a place like nova scotia, that could be a much faster, cheaper solution. Other places may take longer. You can also just follow Asivad's advice...I hear they give out really good info. Just my $0.02...all the best ;D

mvmt

Jan 29, 2015
Thank you all for your replies and great advice!

It's already too late for a re-evaluation, so my only chance is to retake it. I'll give it a try, if I can get 50 more points, it's definitely worth it!!

Thank you again, and good luck to all of us still waiting!!

Cheers!

redd23

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
mvmt said:
Thank you all for your replies and great advice!

It's already too late for a re-evaluation, so my only chance is to retake it. I'll give it a try, if I can get 50 more points, it's definitely worth it!!

Thank you again, and good luck to all of us still waiting!!

Cheers!
Going from 8 to 9 in speaking will increase score by 20 points. Going from 9 to 10-12 will increase score by 3 points. So if you go from 8 to 10 and above you score will go up by 23 points.

jackg

Jun 25, 2015
It looks like your other three bands are quite good.
Why don't you try IELTS instead? Personally,I think one has better chance of scoring high in speaking module in IELTS .CELPIP speaking test is indeed harder than IELTS
in my opinion.

Given your current score,you will get 57 extra points if you can reach CLB9 in all bands.

mvmt

Jan 29, 2015
jackg said:
It looks like your other three bands are quite good.
Why don't you try IELTS instead? Personally,I think one has better chance of scoring high in speaking module in IELTS .CELPIP speaking test is indeed harder than IELTS
in my opinion.

Given your current score,you will get 57 extra points if you can reach CLB9 in all bands.
Hi Jackg!

I'm thinking about the Celpip because IELTS waiting time for a test date is longer than for Celpip and I'm trying to do it before my birthday in October, when I'll lose some very valuable points :mad:
I know that the speaking module is not that easy, especially because of all the people around you speaking at the same time and also because speaking into a microphone is not the most desirable thing for many of us, but right now I think it's the best option that I have. Besides, if you are right about the 57 points, I'd better take the chance!!!
Thank you for your reply and all the best for you!

mvmt

Jan 29, 2015
Hello Everybody!

A little update... I've taken the Celpip for the second time on July 25th and yesterday I got my results, I'm soooo relieved!! I was finally able to reach 9 or more on each band: L-12, R-12, W-9, S-10

However, today, I've been trying to update my profile with the new test results, but my score won't change at all!!!! :eek:
I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong or if there's a problem with CIC web as I got several error messages while trying, does anyone know if it takes long to update? I'm fricking out!!

Thanks!

mvmt

Jan 29, 2015
This is what I find once I've updated my English test results, which is exactly the same thing I had before...

Express Entry Profile Details
Criteria Details Help
Federal Skilled Worker Met Help
Provincial Nominee Program Not Met Help
Canadian Experience Class Met Help
Federal Skilled Trades Not Met Help
Overall Score 419 Help
CRS - Human Capital - Age 35 Help
CRS - Human Capital - Level of Education 126 Help
CRS - Human Capital - First Official Language Proficiency 118 Help
CRS - Human Capital - Second Official Language Proficiency 0 Help
CRS - Human Capital - Canadian Work Experience 35 Help
CRS - Spouse - Level of Education 0 Help
CRS - Spouse - First Official Language Proficiency 0 Help
CRS - Spouse - Canadian Work Experience 5 Help
CRS - Skill Transferability - Education 50 Help
CRS - Skill Transferability - Foreign Work Experience 50 Help
CRS - Skill Transferability - Certificate of Qualification 0 Help
CRS - Arranged Employment 0 Help
CRS - Provincial/Territorial Nomination 0 Help
Express Entry Profile Effective Date 12-May-2015 Help
Express Entry Client Expiry Date 12-May-2016 Help

Someone? Please help!

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
make sure you've done all the submissions and electronic signatures. The updates don't happen automatically, you need to give it time to load.

mvmt

Jan 29, 2015
purplesnow said:
make sure you've done all the submissions and electronic signatures. The updates don't happen automatically, you need to give it time to load.
Thank you purplesnow!

I think I did everything right, the electronic signature and the submissions, I got a message saying "Congratulations...." and then the status changed to processing update, but still no changes in my scores...

I'm thinking that maybe they have already given me all the possible score in the Transferibility Factors, but they haven't updated the score for the actual marks: 32+32+32+29 equals (sorry I cannot find the actual sign :( 125 and not 118 which was my previous score...

I don't understand...

jackg

Jun 25, 2015
If your score is not getting updated,I suggest you to withdraw old profile and create a new one.

MatthewAT

Jan 27, 2017
Hi, I scored 11, 11, 9, 7 in my CELPIP and I would like to retest to increase my score to 11, 11, 9, 9.

Doing so would give me 27 more points, I feel it is worth it. My concern though, what happens if my score is lower on the retest, am I able to use my first test results; am I able to keep the best results from each category?

Thanks for any help in advance ;)