+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it worth doing 1 year Post graduation for Engineering?

Baindoor

Nov 11, 2016
Hi,
I have done BE in computer science in India and working from last 6 years in IT. Currently I am planning to do post graduation in Canada for 1 year in project management. I have got offer from one of the college, but I am really confused. Will be really helpful if someone can clarify my doubts :).

1. What i know is after my college, I can avail one year work permit. In case if I managed to get permanent job, is it easy extend my work permit? What I heard is, it is highly impossible that any employer applies for work permit extension.

2. As getting permanent job is tougher after 1 year college, many students apply for one more year PG course after their 1 pg course, so that they can get 3 years work permit. In three years they can apply for PR as well. If this is the case, then is it better to opt for MS instead of 2 pg course?

I am really confused. Please help me with your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

mandeep62

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
Baindoor said:
Hi,
I have done BE in computer science in India and working from last 6 years in IT. Currently I am planning to do post graduation in Canada for 1 year in project management. I have got offer from one of the college, but I am really confused. Will be really helpful if someone can clarify my doubts :).

1. What i know is after my college, I can avail one year work permit. In case if I managed to get permanent job, is it easy extend my work permit? What I heard is, it is highly impossible that any employer applies for work permit extension.

2. As getting permanent job is tougher after 1 year college, many students apply for one more year PG course after their 1 pg course, so that they can get 3 years work permit. In three years they can apply for PR as well. If this is the case, then is it better to opt for MS instead of 2 pg course?

With lot of experience, and graduation, I think you should go for MS. Program must align with your past qualifications.

jo0503

Aug 27, 2016
mandeep62 said:
With lot of experience, and graduation, I think you should go for MS. Program must align with your past qualifications.

Hey Mandeep

" I think you should go for MS. Program must align with your past qualifications "

Can u please explain a bit more to the comments above. IT people deals mostly with Software Development , Testing and Support. As far as i know MS in Computer Science covers a wide range of subjects (kindly correct me if i am wrong) or is there any subject specific MS ??

mandeep62

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
jo0503 said:
Hey Mandeep

" I think you should go for MS. Program must align with your past qualifications "

Can u please explain a bit more to the comments above. IT people deals mostly with Software Development , Testing and Support. As far as i know MS in Computer Science covers a wide range of subjects (kindly correct me if i am wrong) or is there any subject specific MS ??
That's right.

Baindoor

Nov 11, 2016
Re: Is it worth doing 1 year Post graduation in Canada?

Hi All, Thanks for reply. My question is slightly different. I am interested in applying for PR, so decided to study for 1 or 2 year in Canada. Would be really helpful if I can reply for each point.

saagar94

Dec 30, 2016
Baindoor said:
Hi,

Hey Baindoor this is Saagar here from Bangalore, I too have enrolled myself in a 1 year post grad diploma in manufacturing from Sheridan College in Brampton. I have have the same doubts as you too. Can you drop in a message with your no: so we can help each other out.

India1989

Jul 24, 2016
Hi,

It totally depends on you what you want to do. MS always has a upper hand. If you want to go for studies, look into the course content. Diploma course will be more job oriented. I have 4 years of experience in IT and this year I am planning to go for masters. I also got offer from university but I am still waiting for other university.

Thanks