16-Feb-2016
Med's Done....
23-Feb-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Mar-2016
Hello everyone.

I am in need to your valuable inputs regarding the importance of being bilingual in Canada. I did some courses in French (in my native country as I am not yet in Canada and do not know the real situation there) but still stuck at an elementary stage of the learning process. It is really a daunting task to learn a new language as it requires a big deal of patience and perseverance. I am now confused whether it will be worth devoting so much time and effort just to enhance the level of French when one's feet step on the Canadian land and start settling there.

Some friends strongly recommended learning French as it will boost one's opportunities in getting more jobs even the odds ones, but others said fluent English is still the main key to success in Canada and that it is not worth the trouble of wasting the time on learning the French language.

By the way my intended destination in Canada is GTA.

Your opinions are highly appreciated.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Here is the deal.

If you are going to be living in Toronto, then you will definitely have a huge advantage if you speak both English and French fluently. Expect to be paid a lot more (50%++) if you are bilingual. I am speaking for customer service related and office jobs. However, I do know that bilingual teachers, nurses are also in great demand.

I have moved with my ex from Montreal to Toronto and she was able to bet a job within 2 days... swamped with offers from all over Toronto.

Now, be aware that your French needs to be near perfect as you will be competing with a lot of people who moved from Quebec.

So, yes.... definitely worth it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll give you a different perspective. I don't think it's worth it at all. I am bilingual and it has helped me very little with my career in Canada.

I've worked in financial services in Toronto (for the big banks) for close to 20 years now - mostly in various management positions. I very rarely use my French and it has never been a condition of hire. I also don't get paid more because I know French. Most of my staff members cannot speak French.

So I vote no.

Reactions: sahibo

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
scylla said:
I'll give you a different perspective. I don't think it's worth it at all. I am bilingual and it has helped me very little with my career in Canada.

I've worked in financial services in Toronto (for the big banks) for close to 20 years now - mostly in various management positions. I very rarely use my French and it has never been a condition of hire. I also don't get paid more because I know French. Most of my staff members cannot speak French.

So I vote no.
Agreed. I haven't used my French at all professionally in Toronto, and even when I travel to Quebec for work, everyone speaks English as they can see I'm more comfortable with it. I definitely haven't earned any more or less due to my ability to speak additional languages.

SS66

May 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Oct-2014
Med's Request
16-Feb-2016
Med's Done....
23-Feb-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Mar-2016
Many thanks mrbeachman, scylla and torontosm for your comments. They are highly appreciated. +1 to you ;) ;)

Anyway, Could I ask you if the Government in Ontario provides language training in both English and French for the new immigrants?...As far as I know they provide this at no cost for all new immigrants who need this, but I am curious to know if one is already good at one official language and has a desire to learn or improve the second one. will this be attainable through the free courses which are organized by the government of Ontario?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
SS66 said:
Many thanks mrbeachman, scylla and torontosm for your comments. They are highly appreciated. +1 to you ;) ;)

Anyway, Could I ask you if the Government in Ontario provides language training in both English and French for the new immigrants?...As far as I know they provide this at no cost for all new immigrants who need this, but I am curious to know if one is already good at one official language and has a desire to learn or improve the second one. will this be attainable through the free courses which are organized by the government of Ontario?
the english program is called LINC and the french program is called CLIC. if you google those terms + the area you will be in then you will be able to find an organization that can refer you or get you started. both programs require you to be assessed first and enrolling through an approved language assessment centre. Not all areas offer both programs. both programs will offer full time and part time classes. im sure toronto has a bunch of options to choose from.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Being bilingual helps, though how much it helps varies based on the profession and location. Of course it helps immensely in many federal government jobs and politics. Also many public workplaces require a few bilingual people working there. So it can certainly be an asset.

SS66

May 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Oct-2014
Med's Request
16-Feb-2016
Med's Done....
23-Feb-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Mar-2016
keesio said:
Being bilingual helps, though how much it helps varies based on the profession and location. Of course it helps immensely in many federal government jobs and politics. Also many public workplaces require a few bilingual people working there. So it can certainly be an asset.
CDNPR2014 said:
the english program is called LINC and the french program is called CLIC. if you google those terms + the area you will be in then you will be able to find an organization that can refer you or get you started. both programs require you to be assessed first and enrolling through an approved language assessment centre. Not all areas offer both programs. both programs will offer full time and part time classes. im sure toronto has a bunch of options to choose from.
Thanks for your valuable comments.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I speak French and English, but in Vancouver where I live it is not needed. Much better if you are fluent in Mandarin.