+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it worth applying for PR status again after PR status was lost not meeting Residency Obligations?

Hailey01

Nov 20, 2020
Hi Everone!

I thought to open this second thread to see if there's anyone here who has any experience with applying for PR status after the PR was lost once because of not meeting the residency obligations.

I found out just recently when I applied for PR Travel Document that IRCC refused my application and stated in the decision letter that I haven't complied with residency obligations therefore I am inadmissible to Canada because of this. I have the right to appeal, but I think there's no point at all as I don't have any H&C grounds.

So, I'm just trying to find any advice from those who might have had similar issues or experience with applying after the PR was lost. Is it worth applying? Or the chances are low to get a PR after it's once lost.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi Everone!

I thought to open this second thread to see if there's anyone here who has any experience with applying for PR status after the PR was lost once because of not meeting the residency obligations.

I found out just recently when I applied for PR Travel Document that IRCC refused my application and stated in the decision letter that I haven't complied with residency obligations therefore I am inadmissible to Canada because of this. I have the right to appeal, but I think there's no point at all as I don't have any H&C grounds.

So, I'm just trying to find any advice from those who might have had similar issues or experience with applying after the PR was lost. Is it worth applying? Or the chances are low to get a PR after it's once lost.
Having lost your PR for RO shouldn’t pose any impediment to reapplying and being successful a second time. A bigger consideration would be if you have overcome the reasons you failed to meet RO the first time and would you be able/willing to meet it if you were to become a PR again?

Reactions: Hailey01

Hailey01

Nov 20, 2020
Having lost your PR for RO shouldn’t pose any impediment to reapplying and being successful a second time. A bigger consideration would be if you have overcome the reasons you failed to meet RO the first time and would you be able/willing to meet it if you were to become a PR again?
Hi Buletruck!

Thank you for your reply to my post.

In regards of reapplying...I have the assumption now that if once refused because of not meeting RO then probably will be refused when reapplying again too. So many poeple apply for PR from all over the world. If once lost, lost forever is what I have in mind at the moment.

Good to hear though that there's an opinion on not posing impediment by reapplying.

Regarding the bigger consideration you mention (which you are absolutely right about bringing up). Yes, I have overcome the reasons I failed to meet RO very clearly. And I do regret them. I should have stayed in Canada and study there, not going to another country to study. I do regret this, but I guess it's too late. I didn't realize this up until just now that I got refused (PRTD refusal). If I could turn the clock back, I would be more thorough for sure. But unfortunately, I can't, so I either try applying again or give it up completely.

Now, if I would be granted a second chance, I know for sure that I could meet the obligations. But I'm a bit hesitant if IRCC would (at all) consider a "second chance" application or simply refuse it as so many people apply for the hope of receiving PR.

Quite unsure on this now...that's why I'm trying to get some advice from those who happen to have / ever had any similar to this situation...

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Fact is, Canada wants immigration. We need it! Regardless of people’s pervious history, IRCC is actually very lenient with previous infractions, with exception to criminality and deportations. You don’t seem to have either of those in your past. The option will always be there for you to apply again and be successful as long as you meet the requirements. Personally, from what you have posted, I wouldn’t hesitate to apply again. Life happens, and IRCC is aware of that.

Reactions: Hailey01

Hailey01

Nov 20, 2020
Fact is, Canada wants immigration. We need it! Regardless of people’s pervious history, IRCC is actually very lenient with previous infractions, with exception to criminality and deportations. You don’t seem to have either of those in your past. The option will always be there for you to apply again and be successful as long as you meet the requirements. Personally, from what you have posted, I wouldn’t hesitate to apply again. Life happens, and IRCC is aware of that.
Thanks for your kind words, Buletruck! I am a bit too confused if I should or I shouldn't re-apply at all. Definitely not having any of those you mentioned, neither criminal nor deportations. My case is a lot simplier than those you mentioned. I've studied outside of Canada and took my studies to the highest level possible, doctoral level. I didn't think that studying outside Canada would cause me losing my status and having me inadmissible in Canada at the end of my studies. Although, I wanted these studies to reach the highest degree possible + return back to CA and even have CA benefit from all these. And now, as of today, I am facing losing my PR status and being inadmissible to Canada. I just can't understand this at the moment.

It all seems unbelievable. That's why I'm unsure right now. I'm not going to appeal as there's no H&C grounds, no point doing that, my only excuse would be studying outside Canada. But this excuse (it seems based on the letter I received) causes me to lose my PR Status irreversably.