+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it unauthorized work if you were not paid?

jivvytss

May 18, 2022
Hi,

I accidentally worked as a TA for my university after my degree competition letter for 2 weeks (May 3rd - May 17). Since the TA role doesn't require work in the beginning, I did not perform any work (classes started May 11 and contract was cancelled May 17th). As there was no work performed, but I received payments for 3rd May to 20th May as the university pays on a biweekly basis, I was asked to return the "overpayment" made by the university. In other words, I did not perform any work after completion letter and any pay I received was given back to the university (so I did not get paid). I have all the email threads confirming the above (including the SFU personal vouching that I did not work and receipt of the overpayment).

Does this still count as unauthorized work?
I am confused whether to disclose this as unauthorized work in my PGWP application or not.
I have no intention of using any work in Canada during my PR application.

Thanks!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi,

I accidentally worked as a TA for my university after my degree competition letter for 2 weeks (May 3rd - May 17). Since the TA role doesn't require work in the beginning, I did not perform any work (classes started May 11 and contract was cancelled May 17th). As there was no work performed, but I received payments for 3rd May to 20th May as the university pays on a biweekly basis, I was asked to return the "overpayment" made by the university. In other words, I did not perform any work after completion letter and any pay I received was given back to the university (so I did not get paid). I have all the email threads confirming the above (including the SFU personal vouching that I did not work and receipt of the overpayment).

Does this still count as unauthorized work?
I am confused whether to disclose this as unauthorized work in my PGWP application or not.
I have no intention of using any work in Canada during my PR application.

Thanks!
I confused, at first you said you "accidentally worked" for 2 weeks after completion letter, then "I did not perform any work after completion letter". So which is which?

Reactions: teacherji

jivvytss

May 18, 2022
It means I was on the university payroll for 2 weeks (since we are paid biweekly for fixed amount of work done in 4 months).
However since I did not actually do any work, the overpayment (for the unauthorized time period) was reimbursed by me to the university and my contract was terminated effective from the date I became ineligible to work (i.e. date of completion letter).
So I received no payment for this period (gave extra money back), did no work, and according to the records I didn't work after the competition letter date.
Do I still need to disclose this?