+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it too early to apply for Study Permit?

98ritam

Mar 24, 2019
I had an offer for Fall 2020 but decided to defer to Fall 2021. I have received my revised offer letter. I have the following questions:

1. Is it too early to apply for the study permit (I have a valid SX-1 visa and had previously travelled to Canada with a VR permit)?

2. If I take a medical examination, it is valid for one year, right?

3. For the proof of funds, do I show the proof of funds for one year or for the entire duration? I will be funded by my university and an external Canadian scholarship which shows that I will be ideally covered for the entire duration of my degree (subject to the usual caveats of remaining in good standing).

4. For the tuition, do I indicate the tuition amount for first-year or the entire duration? The standard length of my course is two years and students can take up to three years to complete. In case I indicate the tuition for the entire duration, do I include the tuition for the third year as well (though the department will give sufficient funds to reasonably cover tuition and stay in the third year as well - though this info is not mentioned in the official offer letter sent by the Graduate Studies Office but has been communicated to me in the initial offer email sent by the Graduate Chair)?

Last edited:

bambee2020

Oct 2, 2020
Not too early maybe a waste of money and time. Some are hooked up with the process of SP. They will give you hope with AIP then a refusal after. We should get a refund guys don't you think?

98ritam

Mar 24, 2019
Not too early maybe a waste of money and time. Some are hooked up with the process of SP. They will give you hope with AIP then a refusal after. We should get a refund guys don't you think?
Why do you think there's a chance of refusal?

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
Why do you think there's a chance of refusal?
Ignore him, he is a troll.

As to your question I dont think applying early should be a problem. Though with the current pandemic they may put your app on hold. If you can wait I suggest just waiting six months.

Reactions: wonderbly

98ritam

Mar 24, 2019
Ignore him, he is a troll.

As to your question I dont think applying early should be a problem. Though with the current pandemic they may put your app on hold. If you can wait I suggest just waiting six months.
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I am a bit worried because I learnt that even people who applied in March are awaiting decisions!

As for the other questions, do you have any idea regarding how should I show the tuition and funding (for reference, I specified the details in the initial post at the top)?

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I am a bit worried because I learnt that even people who applied in March are awaiting decisions!

As for the other questions, do you have any idea regarding how should I show the tuition and funding (for reference, I specified the details in the initial post at the top)?
that is because of the covid situation, no matter what six months from now the situation wont be like it was this march when covid was new and no one knew what was happening.

your funds should show support for whole duration. it doesnt have to be immediately available. it can be a mix of savings, scholarship, your sponsors pay slips showing future support etc. If it helps I am also funded for PhD and I showed proof of first year fee and 10k in GIC. Rest I left it for scholarship, it should be okay