+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it the right time to apply for citizenship?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lauramark20 said:
But that's not fair, I accepted to go and work in Canada in 2012 knowing that the time I spend will be counted, it's not my fault that they changed the rules after me going there. It should not be applied for people who went there before the rule.
Very true, that's not fair at all. You should leave the country and never ever think about coming back.

cedarjet

Star Member
Mar 13, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lauramark20 said:
But that's not fair, I accepted to go and work in Canada in 2012 knowing that the time I spend will be counted, it's not my fault that they changed the rules after me going there. It should not be applied for people who went there before the rule.
It is unfortunate, but not unfair. If you are planning to becoming a Canadian, an extra 1 or 2 years shouldn't really affect u (unless u are planning to leave after). Also, receiving a citizenship is not like obtaining a university degree. When you are granted citizenship, you, your kids, and future generations will become Canadian, so it is OK if it is a little bit long, not the end of the world. and as canV said, if you don't like the rules you can leave, nobody is forcing you to become Canadian.

troll2

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
lauramark20 said:
@ on-hold, OK I am making money, but I had opportunity to work in Dubai which I could make more money back then since 2012 to 2015 than doing this in Canada. Getting salary of 10.000$ in Dubai without any taxes cut for them, is much better than getting salary in Canada. The bottom line is, that's not fair, people decide because they have plans, it's like an agreement, you can't just change after the agreement.
The only unfair fact is that you will get citizenship in 4 years and leave the country very next day.

TomTony

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lauramark20 said:
Thanks TomTony,

But what about the file income taxes I've done in the past 3 years?! How can they be ignored?!!
The previous ones are not counted, but at the same time not ignored, it will help your case when applying for citizenship in 2019, the officer will see it and he/she will know that you have good ties to Canada.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lauramark20 said:
@ on-hold, OK I am making money, but I had opportunity to work in Dubai which I could make more money back then since 2012 to 2015 than doing this in Canada. Getting salary of 10.000$ in Dubai without any taxes cut for them, is much better than getting salary in Canada. The bottom line is, that's not fair, people decide because they have plans, it's like an agreement, you can't just change after the agreement.
So, you decided to stay just for the passport. It means that for you the Canadian passport worths many $KKKK so you lose a $10k salary.

Anyway, Canada is not interested in people who came just to count the days left to get the citizenship, passport and go back home and come back again just in case the oil is over in Dubai or is attacked by Iran.

So, as now you realised that you have to wait many years ... I advise to go home and get your $10K salary right now ;D

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
SenoritaBella said:
@ on-hold, you are so matter of fact, it cracked me up. I sympathize with immigrants who feel short changed by the new rules but I try to remind people that what's happening is as a result of rampant abuse by others either through fraud or taking advantage of the system (benefits), etc.

The thing I try to remember is that people don't make public policy, they just try to set their lives up inside it -- and so the solutions are usually not blaming individual people, but looking at the system. Every loophole in every manner of policy will be used by people, because there are a lot of them and will suit some of their lives; it's not their job to try and identify what the 'moral' route to take is. Remember, immigrants getting citizenship and leaving is a problem; but it would be a bigger problem if immigrants couldn't behave like Canadians, they are NOT brought here as foreign labour. And not much is more Canadian than going down to the US and making a big US salary that's taxed at lower rates and has a favourable rate of exchange when they come back . . .

It wouldn't be too hard to fix this problem -- maybe have an annual $1,000 Out of Canada Tax that every expatriate Canadian pays, for the right to immediately access social services on return. I would bet that any 'fix' CRA sets up would snag a lot more locals than immigrants, personally. But they are invisible, even when they leave right after college at the point in their lives when they're finally ready to start contributing to the system; it's easier to blame immigrants.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
on-hold said:
It wouldn't be too hard to fix this problem -- maybe have an annual $1,000 Out of Canada Tax that every expatriate Canadian pays, for the right to immediately access social services on return. I would bet that any 'fix' CRA sets up would snag a lot more locals than immigrants, personally. But they are invisible, even when they leave right after college at the point in their lives when they're finally ready to start contributing to the system; it's easier to blame immigrants.
The ironic thing (to me) is that the one developed country that requires its expat citizens to file taxes regardless of where they live has arguably the least social services to offer (this would be the USA of course). It would actually make more sense for a country like Canada, with its universal health care, to require filing taxes regardless of residence than it is for the USA.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
keesio said:
The ironic thing (to me) is that the one developed country that requires its expat citizens to file taxes regardless of where they live has arguably the least social services to offer (this would be the USA of course). It would actually make more sense for a country like Canada, with its universal health care, to require filing taxes regardless of residence than it is for the USA.

I have often reflected on this too -- usually in April -- and come to the conclusion that this reflects the American government's estimation of the value to me of all its various wars, military actions, interventions, bellicosities, and insurgency support.

SoClose

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
File Transfer...
03-06-2016
Med's Request
19-10-2016
Med's Done....
17-11-2017
Interview........
Not required
on-hold said:
Well, yes, it is true that in other countries who have made changes like this, they grandfather them in so that people who make life plans based on a certain set or circumstances won't find themselves cut loose. Australia, for example. Those countries, however, are not led by Stephen Harper.

Count yourself lucky in one respect -- you've been working and saving money. Another group of people, students, find themselves cut off from an avenue of immigration which I am sure many counted on taking advantage of. These people chose Canada, often over other countries that would have let them immigrate, spent huge fees to study, and suddenly found that the category they would have applied under no longer existed. It's legal, the government of Canada has the right to do it, but it also stinks.
Liked your response. Just had to say that :)

AUTO101

Mar 16, 2015
lauramark20 said:
lauramark20 said:
Life is unfair. And trust me you haven't done any favors to Canada but in return you are getting a chance to start a life that millions can only dream of. So stop being unappreciative and start acting like an adult.

Yes sure, Dubai have given you money.. What about respect, dignity and peace of mind? Your plans means nothing to the government or anyone. They got bigger picture to look at. And please remove the idea from your mind that it's like an agreement.. did government sign a piece of paper saying PLEASE YOUR HIGHNESS, BE OUR CITIZEN BY 2015 OR WE WON'T BE ABLE TO SURVIVE??? (sarcasm**)

It almost feel like you are only here to get Canadian Passport and than never to be seen in Canada. I hope I am wrong. Because people like that have made government to implement tougher rules and if people don't stop abusing system; more tougher rules and restrictions will follow in future.

yasoni

Star Member
May 2, 2012
AUTO101 said:
Life is unfair. And trust me you haven't done any favors to Canada but in return you are getting a chance to start a life that millions can only dream of. So stop being unappreciative and start acting like an adult.

Yes sure, Dubai have given you money.. What about respect, dignity and peace of mind? Your plans means nothing to the government or anyone. They got bigger picture to look at. And please remove the idea from your mind that it's like an agreement.. did government sign a piece of paper saying PLEASE YOUR HIGHNESS, BE OUR CITIZEN BY 2015 OR WE WON'T BE ABLE TO SURVIVE??? (sarcasm**)

It almost feel like you are only here to get Canadian Passport and than never to be seen in Canada. I hope I am wrong. Because people like that have made government to implement tougher rules and if people don't stop abusing system; more tougher rules and restrictions will follow in future.
I totally agree with you. Because of people like this, the system needs to be changed so only people truly want to stay and contribute for Canada will be its citizens.