+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to travel to Canada if my minor Kid's passport is expiring in 5 months?

May 17, 2023
My daughter has received Study visa on her passport. This will be our first time travel to Canada. My daughter is in 6th grade now in India.
Now me and my spouse has passport validity till 2026 however my Kid's passport and visa validity is ending in 5 months(May-2024).
Our plan is once we reach Canada, we will going to apply for Indian Passport and then Visa extension as our travel date is very near, its within 1-2 week.
Does this will create any problem for my Kid for traveling or boarding a flight?

trkm93

Jun 28, 2022
My daughter has received Study visa on her passport. This will be our first time travel to Canada. My daughter is in 6th grade now in India.
Now me and my spouse has passport validity till 2026 however my Kid's passport and visa validity is ending in 5 months(May-2024).
Our plan is once we reach Canada, we will going to apply for Indian Passport and then Visa extension as our travel date is very near, its within 1-2 week.
Does this will create any problem for my Kid for traveling or boarding a flight?
what did you do?

May 17, 2023
what did you do?
We get my kids passport renewed in Tatkal(its passport service in India where I have received her passport in 3 days)
We faced few problems, I will list them here and their solution too.

1. If Passport is applied from India in Tatkal? What time you will get it ? - you should get it delivered to your home address in 3-4 days max.
2. What about police verification? - once you receive it, its not mandatory to do police verification. You can directly fly without it but as you are absent police will send adverse report for you(its not crime/illegal). You can complete your police verification once you will come back to India later. You may have to pay some fine(5-10K INR).
However you cannot skip police verification as it will create a problem later when your passport will expire and you want to get it renewed.
On Airport there will be no issue to you because of pending police verification.

3. **IMP - if your visa is stamped on old passport and you issues a new passport. Check if airline scans your old passport to confirm your entry in Canada POE. They have some scanner machine while issuing you boarding tickets, they will swipe your passport, it should be old passport. If they scan new passport to check if you are allow to enter in Canada, the system will deny your entry as Canada IRCC will not have your new passport in their record/system.
I have faced this issue with my kid, they said she cannot fly as her new passport is rejected for Canada entry. Later I asked them to check with old passport, after scanning old passport on their machine the problem got resolved. I stuck on airline counter around 40 min.

Last edited: