+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to receive CCB for the period of implied status?

seeseer

Jan 30, 2022
I applied for a work permit before expiring my previous visa. And I am on implied status. Here is my question. Is it possible to receive the CCB for the period that I was in implied status retroactively? I am not sure I can receive it. Some people say it is ok but others say it is not possible. I am so confused. If anyone has experience as same as me, please tell me. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied for a work permit before expiring my previous visa. And I am on implied status. Here is my question. Is it possible to receive the CCB for the period that I was in implied status retroactively? I am not sure I can receive it. Some people say it is ok but others say it is not possible. I am so confused. If anyone has experience as same as me, please tell me. Thank you.
Whqt was your previous visa, how long did it last and when did you start receiving CCB? What type of WP do you have? PGWP?

Mtille

May 28, 2020
Whqt was your previous visa, how long did it last and when did you start receiving CCB? What type of WP do you have? PGWP?
I have the same question. I together with my spouse and 3 kids landed here in Canada last 14 September 2021 holding a work permit, open work permit and student visa for kids. We just got our PR recently and applied for CCB. are we gonna received benefits starting September or only the month we became PR? Please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have the same question. I together with my spouse and 3 kids landed here in Canada last 14 September 2021 holding a work permit, open work permit and student visa for kids. We just got our PR recently and applied for CCB. are we gonna received benefits starting September or only the month we became PR? Please advise.
Only from when you received PR. You only qualify for CCB after 18 months on a WP.

bond_thefrank

Nov 16, 2018
We did not receive the retroactive payments for almonst 2years. We applied for PGWP but never received it. Now we are PR and only receive for the time after we became PR.
We used to receive CCB before and it stopped once we apply for PGWP.
I dont know how this thing in CRA works. Some of my friends who were in implied status got Retroactive payments but we dont.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We did not receive the retroactive payments for almonst 2years. We applied for PGWP but never received it. Now we are PR and only receive for the time after we became PR.
We used to receive CCB before and it stopped once we apply for PGWP.
I dont know how this thing in CRA works. Some of my friends who were in implied status got Retroactive payments but we dont.
Something happened to your PGWP application. Was it refused at any time? Why was it in process for 16 months nd never approved? Was it due to the fact that you went to a private college that seems to be affiliated with a public college? It doesn’t seem like it was ever approved which was one of the problems but you would have never received multiple years of retroactive CCB payments. I guess you can hire a lawyer to go after CRA for any CCB you think you are entitled to but it would probably cost more than any CCB you would receive with no guarantees. The fact that your PGWP was never approved is your big issue when it comes to not getting CCB.

bond_thefrank

Nov 16, 2018
@canuck78 thanks for the reply.
My application is not refused. Infact, it was transferred to local office at Surrey for further processing as the service Centre was closed for biometric due to COVID. Eversince, it stuck there. I tried everything to get details, however, they only said its processing.
In april we got our PR, however, pgwp is still in process.
Do you think explaining this to CRA would solve the issue? Or I have to hire a lawer?
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 thanks for the reply.
My application is not refused. Infact, it was transferred to local office at Surrey for further processing as the service Centre was closed for biometric due to COVID. Eversince, it stuck there. I tried everything to get details, however, they only said its processing.
In april we got our PR, however, pgwp is still in process.
Do you think explaining this to CRA would solve the issue? Or I have to hire a lawer?
Thanks
You don’t qualify for payments because PGWP was never approved but given that you received PR 6 months ago you are past the period where you would receive retroactive payments so even if your PGWP gets processed (even though you have already received PR so not sure if it will get processed) you won’t receive retroactive payments for 2020,2021, etc.

bond_thefrank

Nov 16, 2018
You don’t qualify for payments because PGWP was never approved but given that you received PR 6 months ago you are past the period where you would receive retroactive payments so even if your PGWP gets processed (even though you have already received PR so not sure if it will get processed) you won’t receive retroactive payments for 2020,2021, etc.
What is the period for retroactive payment claim? I believe it can go up to 10years back.