+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to marry here in Canada even if I am married in Philippines?

Gretchsash

Jul 22, 2014
Really need help, is it possible for me to marry here in Canada even if I am married in Philippines? My ex-husband s also here but he commit adultery. We did not declare we are married when we come here in Canada all our documents even in Taiwan are all single. Do I need to file a divorce here even if we are not recognized as married here? If I need to file a divorce how much would it cost and how long would it take?

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
no it is not possible and this is called misrepresentation you will be deported from canada nad banned for at least two years....we do not need cheaters in my great canada.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi Gretchsash,

are you seriously asking this question :eek:
common-law when you are already married is as worse as your first idea of marrying here while you have a husband back in the philippines.
yes i have an option for you,why don't you apply for PR on a legitimate way just like all honest people wishing to immigrate to canada does...there is plenty of economic immigration programs that applicants can chose from.
if you do not qualify for any of those programs then forget about canada,its not like you must become pr to survive.

Gretchsash

Jul 22, 2014
Bcoz my situations r very complicated, I work in a restaurant bfore in Winnipeg and I moved here in ontario and want to apply as nanny but I am not under live-in caregiver so, I'm thinking marry s the solution. How can I apply PR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A person can still be married and also be in a Common-Law relationship...and CIC will accept the PR application for sponsorship.

As long as the marriage has `broken down', meaning that the couple is no longer living together, or engaging as a married couple (for at least 1 year), it's allowed.

Gretchsash

Jul 22, 2014
hi Ponga,

Do I need to file a divorce to my ex husband even if we're married in Philippines? Our status here are single, we came from Taiwan and even there we used single status that's why when we come here we didn't change it anymore because it takes time to change status,I'm thinking we can change it here when we both here but I didn't know ths wl happen to our marraige, he commit adultery and now I don't know what to do with my papers. I resigned to my restaurant job in Winnipeg and moved here Ontario wth my auntie but my problem I can't work as nanny bcoz I'm not under live-in caregiver or I don't hve experience or any background fr ths.plsss help me. Thank you

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi Ponga,

i don't know where you got that from :eek: how can a person be married and in a common-law relationship?tell me
what you said means you can have a wife and a girlfriend on the same time....huh how is that possible,this is not logical and will not make sense to anyone.
a broken down marriage means the couple are separated for a year this is mandatory in canada before they can start the divorce process.
the OP here is married and she has no intentions to leave her husband for good she is just trying to cheat the system so she can get a pr,i clearly said in one of my posts this is not legal and not allowed.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canadavisa13 said:
i don't know where you got that from
Directly from CIC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

5.38 What happens if the common-law partner (principal applicant) is married to another person?

Persons who are married to third parties may be considered common-law partners provided their marriage has broken down and they have lived separate and apart from the spouse for long enough to establish a common-law relationship–at least one year. In this case they must have cohabited in a conjugal relationship with the common-law partner for at least one year. Cohabitation with a common-law partner cannot be considered to have started until a physical separation from the spouse has occurred. A common-law relationship cannot be legally established if one or both parties continue their marital relationships.

Officers must be satisfied that a principal applicant is separated from and no longer cohabits with a legal spouse. This evidence may be in the form of a signed formal declaration that the marriage has ended and that the person has entered into a common-law relationship. An officer may require that the person produce other written evidence of a formal separation or of a breakdown of the marriage. Acceptable documents include a separation agreement, a court order in respect of custody of children identifying the fact of the marriage breakdown, documents removing the legally married spouse(s) from insurance policies or will as beneficiaries (a “change of beneficiary” form).

In the above circumstances, the legal spouse of the principal applicant need not be examined and will not be considered a member of the family class if the applicant later attempts to sponsor this spouse. [See R117(9)(d)]. Notes in CAIPS should indicate that the applicant was aware of the consequences of non-examination.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Gretchsash said:
Really need help, is it possible for me to marry here in Canada even if I am married in Philippines? My ex-husband s also here but he commit adultery. We did not declare we are married when we come here in Canada all our documents even in Taiwan are all single. Do I need to file a divorce here even if we are not recognized as married here? If I need to file a divorce how much would it cost and how long would it take?

Do you hve any other options fr me? How about common law?
I really don't understand what you are trying to do.
What is your current status in Canada? Who do you want to be common-law with, your ex-husband who you never claimed you were married to and who cheated on you? Is he even a PR of Canada?

Or are you looking to find a Canadian now that you can become common-law with, just to apply for PR?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadavisa13 said:
how can a person be married and in a common-law relationship?tell me
You can be married and in a common law relationship if for example your spouse takes off on you and you are unable to divorce them because you can't find them or you separate amicably but you come from a country like the Philippines where you can't get divorced because it's not allowed. In the meantime, you meet someone else and start living with that person.

Immigration will accept your new relationship as a common law partnership and therefore good for immigration as long as your marriage has broken down and you have lived with your new common law partner for at least 12 months. They would not accept it if you are living with both at the same time.

The OP is in trouble because she lied on her application and did not disclose that she was married. For the life of me, I don't know why people lie about unimportant details on their application forms which don't even matter for getting a visa but can get them booted out of Canada later on because they committed misrepresentation.

Kate200624

Feb 1, 2019
no it is not possible and this is called misrepresentation you will be deported from canada nad banned for at least two years....we do not need cheaters in my great canada.
Quretion is, how can she file a divorce here in canada if she declared shes single?