Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
SAinfoseeker said:
I think that is a very unfair comment.
You're allowed to think so, but that's how it is. I only heard you about insurance and hospital fees. Apart from that, it's a fact that she never worked in Canada and therefore never contributed to the health care system. The well-organized public health care system makes it difficult for private companies to offer a similar package deal (and possible she faces incredibly high prices, considering her age).

Fair or not, CIC will go to the bottom if she's trying to immigrate for solid family reasons. 86 year old people usually don't emigrate anymore and are a burden to the social systems. If you even have trouble convincing people on this forum board, you'll definitely have trouble convincing CIC. It's not so much just about intensions, it's also very much about impressions!

SAinfoseeker

Feb 13, 2011
scylla said:
SAinfoseeker -

Just as an FYI - the medical is not completed as part of the first stage of the application. Instead, your grandmother will be asked to attend the medical 3-4 years after you first apply.
I think that in what you were referring to I was talking about a medical for medical insurance coverage during a 6 month temporary visa.

But I also did figure she would have to have a medical before being granted permanent resident status. I would think that getting the medical years after being granted the status would lead to a lot of people trying to get permanent resident resident status just because of some current medical condition.

Thanks again scylla.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
SAinfoseeker -

Yes - just to make sure I haven't confused you...

The medical I was referring to was the one that your grandmother will have to take in order to be accepted as a PR. This medical will be completed after the first stage of processing has finished and you have been approved as a sponsor (this stage currently takes 41 months, I believe).

But you're absolutely right, your grandmother will very likely have to pass a medical for travel insurance purposes as well.

Sorry if I confused things.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't take my comments as a personal attack. I have read the whole thread, and all of your words and then gave my opinion.

You chose the words "rip off Canadian medical system", Jurjen was far more measured in the comments that were posted.

If you saying you want your grandmother in Canada permanently then sponsor her, but note that (as others have indicated) the process is long, and getting longer.

This is the source of the information you need to read (previously posted by scylla) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/famcls.asp there are no short cuts.
Anyone coming to Canada as a visitor really needs full health insurance, not just for major issues. Also note that in many provinces healthcare is not available immediately, some have waiting periods of three months. Insurance would be required during the waiting period.

SAinfoseeker

Feb 13, 2011
Jurjen said:
You're allowed to think so, but that's how it is. I only heard you about insurance and hospital fees. Apart from that, it's a fact that she never worked in Canada and therefore never contributed to the health care system. The well-organized public health care system makes it difficult for private companies to offer a similar package deal (and possible she faces incredibly high prices, considering her age).

Fair or not, CIC will go to the bottom if she's trying to immigrate for solid family reasons. 86 year old people usually don't emigrate anymore and are a burden to the social systems. If you even have trouble convincing people on this forum board, you'll definitely have trouble convincing CIC. It's not so much just about intensions, it's also very much about impressions!
Don't know what happened to my last response but it was not here after I posted it, so here goes again.

Her son and grandson and their families have contributed much to Canada as residents and business owners for years. All we want is to help our aging grandmother.

There are many, many people much younger who come here through lots of different processes who are and will continue to me a burden to the Canadian social system for many years. I don't see why some one would pick on a healthy old lady who as I pointed out several times is not poor but at the same time is not exactly rich, and likely won't be around for many more years.

And, I have only had trouble convincing two people here of the genuine nature of my inquiries, both of whom seem to have read only the subject line.

Anyway this is my final post on this matter. I think I have as much information as I can get here and I would really like to thank everyone for there kind help.

Thank you all.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Clearly you do want to help your grand mother.
Obviously there are many people do abuse the healthcare system in Canada, but you should note that the Canadian system does not "pick on a healthy old lady".
Immigrants choose to come to Canada, I assume that you made a choice like everyone else. The reality was that you moved away from your grandmother, that was part of your choice;
When you arrived in Canada, I am sure that there was no guarantee issued by CIC that your grandmother would be allowed entry on demand, with no preconditions. So she needs to apply like everyone else, so that CIC can make the judgement in her case.

Although you may feel I don't care about this sort of thing, you are quite wrong; However, the reality that we see on a regular basis, gives good reason to suspect that you have a difficult task ahead of you.
That task is not influenced by my opinion, nor should it be. You need to understand the sort of problems you face, that is why I replied. Just because you do not like what you hear, does not make it any less valid.

Sadly immigration and life do not always work the way we might want them to.

If you feel that the immigration process is too long (and many people do), then why not apply for a TRV so she can visit for a short while ?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

If you decide to apply for PR, then you should seriously consider the point that Jurjen made -
"If you even have trouble convincing people on this forum board, you'll definitely have trouble convincing CIC.
It's not so much just about intensions, it's also very much about impressions!"

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
SAinfoseeker said:
And, I have only had trouble convincing two people here of the genuine nature of my inquiries, both of whom seem to have read only the subject line.
Don't take my posts as personal attacks! I did read more then the title and I'm not saying your intentions are wrong. I'm just trying to get you to see some more perspective. You should definitely try to let your grandmother immigrate to Canada, if everybody related to her thinks it's for the best (and I'm not talking about the abuse of public systems now). You just need to get every detail strait in your application to make sure you can actually succeed. Hence my last two lines in my previous post.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Think about this. Is it really true that everybody she knows has died? How about her familiar surroundings, the climate, things she likes to do etc.? Uprooting people at such an old age is not always a good idea. I have seen that with my own grandmother who moved to join my uncle at age 80 and never managed to get settled in her new area.

If you do want to sponsor her, go for it. You can apply for a multiple entry visit visa for her to visit you. If she likes it and does not want to go back after 6 months, you can apply to extend. Some people say that you can not keep applying for extensions every 6 months and others say you can. Some people have managed to stay on visitor visas for years somehow as long as funds were met. As for health insurance, I think it would be expensive to get one for somebody that old but you should be able to get accident and emergency insurance in case something unforeseen happens. You should ask some insurance brokers about that.

asurania

Star Member
Feb 2, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-29-2010 (Lost) Resubmitted 16-02-2011
Doc's Request.
16-03-2011
AOR Received.
28-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-02-2011
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2011
LANDED..........
26-07-2011
she will be about 99 years old before she gets a PR

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe she will really live that long. She might also have it by age 91 or so and she might live to be 100. Never underestimate the old. An uncle of mine took in his mother in law when she was 70 years old and he was about 40. He didn't think it would be forever but for him it was. He died at age 75 and she was still alive then and living at his house.