+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to change university after landing in canada?

mkodkrish

Jul 6, 2016
I was offered to study at University of BC for FALL (sep-2016), can I change to another university from whom I also had admission. Right now the amount study of load and many different things can't be foreseen upfront so i decided to land in canada with approved student visa to study at Univ of BC and then speak to senior students , professors and understand my capacity to complete the course, if I feel it is tough then I want to move to another university (concordia, motreal) with whom I also had offer to study. Will I be in trouble if I do that (i mean getting Post graduate work permit ) at later stage. Do i have to inform my first university that I will be moving to Concordia university ? please help me in this regards.

Badi

Jun 13, 2011
Yes you can do that .
However you have to inform CIc by logging to your account and change the DLI and inform them wothout applying again.

To study in montreal, quebec you have to apply for CAQ which can be obtained online

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
mkodkrish said:
I was offered to study at University of BC for FALL (sep-2016), can I change to another university from whom I also had admission. Right now the amount study of load and many different things can't be foreseen upfront so i decided to land in canada with approved student visa to study at Univ of BC and then speak to senior students , professors and understand my capacity to complete the course, if I feel it is tough then I want to move to another university (concordia, motreal) with whom I also had offer to study. Will I be in trouble if I do that (i mean getting Post graduate work permit ) at later stage. Do i have to inform my first university that I will be moving to Concordia university ? please help me in this regards.
And always keep in mind about refund rules of university as they always deduct some amount from your fees before refunding.
you can find it in the refund rules of he particular university.

Gymguy

Jul 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2016
LANDED..........
July End
mkodkrish said:
Better to seek professional advice. I was advised that once you start the course then you can't change DLI for 1 year. It maynot
be 100% true but it's better to seek professional advice now than regret later. Good Luck and Best Wishes.

mkodkrish

Jul 6, 2016
It might be crazy for some ::).

I had to do lot of thesis work and one should evaluate his/her capacity, and sound knowledge in some of the required fundamentals is key to be successful in such deep dive programs (in my case (computer science) there are lot of different options to my faculty but each one had his own merits and demerits) and professors given admission because they have seen something that I am good at and they think I can, but for me it is all about throwing money for good cause and complete my degree in 2 years and with much confidence. For me doing thesis or Phd is not a joke especially when one has average knowledge in CS fundamentals, maths and analytics. Hence I had to go university, speak lot other students and professors and underline things I can do or can't do and then make a move. I am keeping my options open. I have already paid both the universities some amount , just a little to secure my seat. but the paid amount can be returned if I justified why I want to chose another university.

zuif

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mkodkrish said:
It might be crazy for some ::).

I had to do lot of thesis work and one should evaluate his/her capacity, and sound knowledge in some of the required fundamentals is key to be successful in such deep dive programs (in my case (computer science) there are lot of different options to my faculty but each one had his own merits and demerits) and professors given admission because they have seen something that I am good at and they think I can, but for me it is all about throwing money for good cause and complete my degree in 2 years and with much confidence. For me doing thesis or Phd is not a joke especially when one has average knowledge in CS fundamentals, maths and analytics. Hence I had to go university, speak lot other students and professors and underline things I can do or can't do and then make a move. I am keeping my options open. I have already paid both the universities some amount , just a little to secure my seat. but the paid amount can be returned if I justified why I want to chose another university.
Are you sure about getting the refund? If you were not prioritizing thesis work for your degree, you should've applied it accordingly, or maybe you were trying to figure out your actual potential?