+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IS IT OK TO SAY I MET MY HUSBAND ONLINE ON THE SPONSORSHIP FORM!!!!

lara

Sep 10, 2009
My husband and i are married, is it alright to put in the sponsorship papers that we met online?????????? we have all the proof of the world to give to them (emails, pictures, and our wedding picture and videos, phone bills...) that we are in a geniune relationship.

Thank you.

ukmike

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
UK
Hi Lara,

Me and my girlfriend met online and our visa was approved just fine. I don't think they care how you met just that you can proof that it's a genuine relationship through all the evidence you send them. Hope that reassures you a little.

Mike

lara

Sep 10, 2009
Thank you so much Mike :) do you know how long it takes to get PR for him if we do outland from saudi arabia, we live here together. I dont have a job here, doesnt that matter as I am the one who is sponsoring my husband.

Thanks,

ukmike

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
UK
You can check outland processing times here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

If you are Canadian sponsoring your husband "you must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident." http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp#sponsoring

I don't know if anything changes because you are already married but we sent in our wage slips/bank statements and had to prove my Canadian girlfriend hadn't and wasn't on any government support.

Mike

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Spousal sponsorships are financially exempt from the minimum income requirements so you do not have to have a job to apply.

johnlee9210

May 13, 2009
Go for it Lara...Me and my wife met online as well...Sponsorship was fine except for the waiting period of course

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
From Section 5.50 of the OP2 Processing Manual:
Internet relationships
An Internet relationship alone, without other convincing evidence that the couple has established and maintained a conjugal relationship for at least one year and spent time together, will raise serious concerns as to whether a conjugal relationship exists. Conjugality should be assessed based on the elements of interdependency as set out in Section 5.26 above.
Yes, it's absolutely okay to say you met online . . . in fact, you don't want to be dishonest or misleading about how you met. And there's no need to apologize for meeting online! So be honest. The bottom line is that how you met is not nearly as important as what happened after you met. (This section seems also to assume an application as conjugal partners, rather than spousal or common-law where a relationship is established in law or by the fact of having cohabitated for at least one year.) What's most important in assessing a genuine and continuing relationship (meaning not just about facilitating status in Canada for the foreign national) is your ability to document and evidence a history that supports it. We met online, as have many, many others, and there was no question about our genuine and continuing relationship because we were able to demonstrate that after the initial "meet", we traveled frequently to spend time together and talked daily by phone, etc. And we had pictures, cards, receipts, trip itineraries, etc., to support that. This section of the manuals is talking about relationships where people have not only met online, but have maintained the relationship strictly online . . . that would be a really easy thing to do if someone was looking only to immigrate to Canada - if CIC allowed it. They don't.