+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it misrepresentation?

Alberto SK

Feb 22, 2018
Hello all!
I've never posted here, mostly read, but now I decided to ask your kind advice because I don't know what to do and how to fix current situation. I'm lended permanent resident and live in Canada for 3 years. Several days ago I was preparing to apply for citizenship, and decided to check my application for PR, I realized that I didn't include my second citizenship in it. It is a mistake, I just missed that field, it was not done by my intention. However I don't have any documents from the country of not included citizenship, because I left that country many years ago and haven't been there since that. So I can't even prove that I have that citizenship, but I know I have it because I was born there.

So my question is: Is it really misrepresentation?

I'm not going to hide my second citizenship, in citizenship application. I'm concerned that this can be considered as misrepresentation, and my PR status can be revoked. How can fix it, is there a way to add my second citizenship to the application, or inform that there was a mistake? What should I do?

Thank you.

Reactions: qorax

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
Seems like you filled an application before express entry rules implemented and in a general application form, question 7 ask you the information regarding your date of birth, place of birth and country. what information did you fill there?
Thank you

Alberto SK

Feb 22, 2018
Seems like you filled an application before express entry rules implemented and in a general application form, question 7 ask you the information regarding your date of birth, place of birth and country. what information did you fill there?
Thank you
Yes you are right, I filled the application before Express Entry rules in 2013. I filled General Application form IM0008. In question # 7 I've included the information as is, my actual date of birth and country(this country's citizenship I didn't include in Question# 9 by my mistake)

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
I don't think it is a misrepresentation but I am not a legal advisor.

I see your situation in two different way from Immigration point of view.

1. You gave correct information in Question 7 about your place of birth ad country which was true and accurate information but you didn't mention citizenship because you may already surrender your birth citizenship and that's why you didn't fill the information in question 9.

2. You did provide correct information in question 7 but hide your birth citizenship (maybe for some reasons)

If I would be at your place, I think I will definitely talk to an immigration lawyer or consultant rather than sending my citizenship application with an explanation of this mistake. Because you never know right this might falls under an innocent mistake which will consider as misrepresentation as well.

Good luck!

brontosky

Dec 18, 2014
I am not a legal expert as well. But I think from some angle it can be considered as misrepresentation. I would like to be wrong here.

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Take things on the internet with a grain of salt.

Occam’s Razor. The form is confusing. Only a really smart person can understand that.
It’s not misrepresentation per se. Talk to the CIC agent interviewing you at the test, and if things go south, the time you consult a lawyer. No point wasting your money before the fact.

Good luck!

Reactions: qorax

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Take things on the internet with a grain of salt.

Occam’s Razor. The form is confusing. Only a really smart person can understand that.
It’s not misrepresentation per se. Talk to the CIC agent interviewing you at the test, and if things go south, the time you consult a lawyer. No point wasting your money before the fact.

Good luck!
The pricinple of Occam’s Razor doesn’t always apply to government or law. The fact that the OP did not correctly report his citizenship on an IMMIGRATION application raises some serious red flags. At worst, this mistake could cause OP to lose PR and/or be barred from immigration. Most likely, OP will only receive extra scrutiny on a citizenship application. Only a lawyer trained in immigration law would know how to properly proceed on this, and I highly doubt that advice would be “just explain it at the interview”. Like @jamie hito said, take things you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Get a lawyer.

Reactions: razerblade

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
@Alberto SK: Since you don't have any documentation for it - and since you haven't visited that place for a longtime, don't stress too much over it. Mention it and write a cover letter explaining what you posted in the OP - and you should be fine.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
One more "no expert" here. My 2 cents would be, since this is a lifetime thing, better consult a lawyer. All the best.

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
The pricinple of Occam’s Razor doesn’t always apply to government or law. The fact that the OP did not correctly report his citizenship on an IMMIGRATION application raises some serious red flags. At worst, this mistake could cause OP to lose PR and/or be barred from immigration. Most likely, OP will only receive extra scrutiny on a citizenship application. Only a lawyer trained in immigration law would know how to properly proceed on this, and I highly doubt that advice would be “just explain it at the interview”. Like @jamie hito said, take things you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Get a lawyer.

Are you a CIC immigration agent who processes citizenship applications?
Which makes you profoundly knowledgeable on matters about citizenship.

Or are you practicing immigration law, which explains the endorsements on lawyers to any problems big or small. I think accounts on this forum are those of barristers. I wouldn’t be suprised if it where.

Your none on both?..

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you a CIC immigration agent who processes citizenship applications?
Which makes you profoundly knowledgeable on matters about citizenship.

Or are you practicing immigration law, which explains the endorsements on lawyers to any problems big or small. I think accounts on this forum are those of barristers. I wouldn’t be suprised if it where.

Your none on both?..
This is not a small problem that can be resolved by a “barrister” like yourself on a forum. OP should consult an immigration lawyer.

Reactions: Aloaleja