+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it mandatory to take TEF(Test d'Evaluation Francais) for French proficiency?

attaluri

Jun 25, 2009
Dear Members,

I am new to this forum. I am currently studying French at 'Alliance Francaise' and preparing for DELF-A1 and Delf-A2, which proves basic proficiency. My query is that whether the same will be considered by Canadian Immigration authorities or is it mandatory to take the TEF.

Seniors please clarify.

Regards,
Attaluri Kiran

Hot-Lier

May 27, 2009
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2011
Doc's Request.
17-4-2012
AOR Received.
17-4-2012
File Transfer...
14-08-2011
Med's Request
07-06-2012
Med's Done....
12-06-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
8-09-2012
I also have done the same cources from same institution. As long as my information is concerened, it is important to appear in tef to exactly count that how many marks you obtain in french language proficency. But as my teacher here in Islamabad told me that even if i study french language for one year , even then it is not possible to score basic proficency in tef . But at the same time the history of my instutuation shows that in some of the case IO officer awarded 2 points or 1 point when it was benifical to the applicant. You can't depend on it without tef but definatelly it has weightage for IO.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They strongly recommend that you take IELTS/TEF to prove your language proficiency unless English/French is your mother tongue. If you don't take IELTS/TEF, they get to decide how many points you get. They may give you zero points if they feel like it so if you need the points, you should take the TEF.

coolguy001

Star Member
Oct 28, 2008
Proof of your language abilities
If you have some proficiency in both English and French, decide which language you are more comfortable using. This is your first official language. The other is your second official language.

If you claim to have language abilities on your application, you must provide conclusive proof of your level of proficiency. There are two ways to do this. You can:

take a language test or
provide other written proof of your abilities.
We strongly recommend that you take a language test from an approved organization.

For DELF all depends upon IO may be they give u points or may not.

attaluri

Jun 25, 2009
Dear Members,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I don't want to take any chances. Will try to attempt TEF soon.

Regards
Attaluri.