+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it mandatory to have health insurance at all times in Quebec?

manifald7

Dec 18, 2022
Hello,
I have a concern, I have spent several months after the end of my studies working under a PWGP without health insurance except the one provided by my employer which covers only the payment of medications and some other things.
I was wondering if a Canadian law prohibits me from residing in Canada without health insurance for a few months as a worker under PWGP and if so, could this be a problem for my future immigration applications.
I plan to apply for RAMQ in the next few days.

Thank you

Last edited:

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
As I understand, as a PGWP(post graduate work permit) you are consider a temporal resident and therefore you don't have to have health insurance, differently from people with PR/citizens which by law have to be cover by either public/private plans.

Even if you are a PR, a few months without insurance will not cause much trouble, as long as you obtain health coverage later in the year and that you declared in your taxes, showing which months you didn't have it. This is so the government can charge you the RAMQ equivalent for those months that you weren't cover. This is to avoid people to only apply for RAMQ when they are sick, and then try to avoid paying taxes the rest of the year on health plans.

That having been said, as a PGWP you will have access to the general RAMQ coverage for emergencies and such, but you will not be cover by the drug prescription plan, as you are a temporal resident. You will need to find a private insurance provider for that, although it can be tough as most don't cover it individually, as it is usually some employer or university plan that takes care of it.

If someone has more information, please chime in.

Best of luck

Reactions: Helioza

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Hello,
I have a concern, I have spent several months after the end of my studies working under a PWGP without health insurance except the one provided by my employer which covers only the payment of medications and some other things.
I was wondering if a Canadian law prohibits me from residing in Canada without health insurance for a few months as a worker under PWGP and if so, could this be a problem for my future immigration applications.

Thank you
In Québec and Canada , you need a health insurance card to receive services at no cost in a health facility. so its more like a provided service , and its on you when it comes to paying the full fees if you dont apply for it( wondering why you didnt apply for it yet ??!! ).having an RAMQ document is also used as an official id document .its a must have and shouldn't be a problem when it comes to any immigration process in the future as you are going to apply for it .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank you
You don’t qualify for your employer health benefits without having RAMQ first.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
How so ?!! if that was the case then the employer would have asked for a proof of insurtance before granting the private insurance .