Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
HI.
I have applied for M.eng course in univers. of victoria and manitoba. After 2 month after application whn i asked dm for the current status they told me that i must have an academic supervisor. But i thought tht the supervisor is mandatory for the thesis based course only.
Please guide me how to convince a supervisor and wht wud b the format for letter .

a_a_d

Sep 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got in M.Eng in MUN. And I guess M.Eng is a research based degree. :eek:.. Atleast that's what it says on the Uni website.

asadallofme

Star Member
Jul 25, 2011
a_a_d said:
I got in M.Eng in MUN. And I guess M.Eng is a research based degree. :eek:.. Atleast that's what it says on the Uni website.
M. Eng is taught based course and M.Sc is research/thesis based course.

1)What re the tuition fees of MUN for M.Eng?? and did u apply first for supervisor or not?
2)in how many days u got yur admission letter??

amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Yes, most of the university need a supervisor for MEng.

a_a_d

Sep 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Tution Fee Alone for M.Eng - Oil n Gas Engineering is 5718 CAD for twwo years. And yes, I managed to get a supervisor and luckily enough, he granted me funding as well.
I got applied by end of August and got my admission letter almost a month from the date of dispatch from MUN. (They send it by normal post.. Not urgent).
Since I was falling short of time, I requested my friend (already in MUN) to get a duplicate of the letter and send it to me by FedEx. It costed me a few thousand but it paid off indeed.

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
Some universities require an "academic supervisor" (more or less known as an adviser) for MEng who will keep track of your performance. Supervisor for MSc is for research.

While for MSc, it is suggested to contact and find supervisor beforehand, getting accepted in MEng will automatically assign you a supervisor (in most of the case). But sometimes, you might have to find yourself a supervisor for MEng too!

vishu639

Star Member
Jul 14, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
rhasan said:
Some universities require an "academic supervisor" (more or less known as an adviser) for MEng who will keep track of your performance. Supervisor for MSc is for research.

While for MSc, it is suggested to contact and find supervisor beforehand, getting accepted in MEng will automatically assign you a supervisor (in most of the case). But sometimes, you might have to find yourself a supervisor for MEng too!
Hello
So what should i do nw? itz been more thn 2 month and m really tensed. Should i contact any academic advisor?? how can i impress him ( format of the e mail ) ?

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
vishu639 said:
Hello
So what should i do nw? itz been more thn 2 month and m really tensed. Should i contact any academic advisor?? how can i impress him ( format of the e mail ) ?
Contact with the admin of the university and see what they say. My supervisor was automatically appointed for MEng (thats how uCalgary does).

vishu639

Star Member
Jul 14, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
rhasan said:
Contact with the admin of the university and see what they say. My supervisor was automatically appointed for MEng (thats how uCalgary does).
uni of victoria said
> Thank you for your email. Graduate students must have a supervisor for their
> program. Spaces are limited due to limited funds and laboratory space. The
> competition for admission is therefore very intense and normally only
> outstanding applicants whose field of interest coincides with that of one of
> the research groups in the Department receive serious consideration. Please
> feel free to check out the Research Opportunities for Graduate Students page
> on our website, http://www.me.uvic.ca/grad/position.html, to see if any of
> the professors' research matches your interests and background. If you wish,
> you can contact a Professor directly via email to enquire about supervision
> and funding opportunities.

uni of manitoba

Your application is now on line for our academic
staff to review and will remain on line for 3
months from the date it was put on line.
If anyone recommends your acceptance then you will be notified. If noone can accept you within this 3 months period then your file will be closed and you will
be notified by our Faculty of Graduate Studies.
In the meantime you may also wish to contact
some of our academic staff in whose research
you are interested in.

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
Since they mentioned about "fund" and "Research interest", they must have missed nothing whether you are a MASc student or MEng student.

vishu639

Star Member
Jul 14, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
now plz advise me what to do

amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Hi Vishnu,
Dont panic.........be cool.
Draft a good email which gives good information regarding your profile.By profile I mean your academics, work exp, IELTS score.
It better if you can scan and attach all the memos, degree certificate,work exp letter, IELTS score, etc
Tell him exactly what you have done and what you want to do.....send it to all the professors who are in the faculty....I mean if your r comp science student send that email to all professors related to comp science.
btw, can u tell me regarding ur profile?

Good Luck!!

-Abhi.

vishu639

Star Member
Jul 14, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
amarecharla said:
Hi Vishnu,
Dont panic.........be cool.
Draft a good email which gives good information regarding your profile.By profile I mean your academics, work exp, IELTS score.
It better if you can scan and attach all the memos, degree certificate,work exp letter, IELTS score, etc
Tell him exactly what you have done and what you want to do.....send it to all the professors who are in the faculty....I mean if your r comp science student send that email to all professors related to comp science.
btw, can u tell me regarding ur profile?

Good Luck!!

-Abhi.
Thanks for your much needed support abhi.. I have done B.tech in mechanical engineering (ptu)2007-2011 with 68 % marks. Ielts score is 6.5 with no band less thn 6. I have done autocad and 6 month internship in mahindra & mahindra. Currently i m working as a lecturer in a polytechnic from august2011.

amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Hi Brother,
Sorry for the late reply.
Since you have already applied, just try email some professors the same details.
From your profile, I can say that you dont have a great experience. I guess it whould be atleast 2yrs.
And most of the university are very tough to get into, so with a 68% I am not sure.
What you can probably do is try to build your profile by gaining experience in Mechanical Engg and then apply.

But, I dont say that there is no chance for you to get into universities, the competition is just too high!!
U can even try any of the PGD programs.

Good Luck!!

-Abhi.