+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it harder for women to sponsor their spouse?

aylar10

Jun 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-09-2016
File Transfer...
27-09-2016 (SA)
Med's Done....
30-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2016
LANDED..........
10-11-2016
Hello everyone,

I have heard over and over that CIC makes it really difficult for women to sponsor their spouse. Two of people that I know had to actually get pregnant in order to be able to sponsor their husband (One from Algeria, and one from Guyana).

I am a Canadian citizen who got married last month. I am gathering all the documents to sponsor my spouse who lives in Iran. I was wondering if anyone provide me with any tips or what I should avoid or not to do?

My husband and I got to know each other through family connections in 2011. I met him in 2013 but the relationship never developed until last year. We always had communications and we were more like friends. We planned trips together but because of work commitments or some fears that I had at the time, we never went on those trips except one this year in March. After that trip, we told our families that we wanted to get married. they were actually aware of our relationship or even our friendship. We have so many pictures from our official engagement ceremony, wedding and reception as well as some of the family functions but they're all taken this year. I do have emails, viber communications and etc since 2011.

But because I have heard really horror stories about sponsorship, I am nervous about what to do or if I should hire a lawyer.

I would truly appreciate it, if someone could help me with this.
Many thanks,
A.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's crazy. Having a child does NOT prove anything to CIC, when it comes to a sponsorship application being approved. IMO, it's the wrong reason to get pregnant, but...

Spend some time reading through this forum and you'll soon discover that it's pretty easy to do on your own.

Good luck!

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
I am a woman and I cannot imagine being pregnant and going through this process. The stress at times I am sure would be detrimental to the baby. This forum has most of the answers to questions you might have. You have of course prove the marriage is genuine with pictures letters cards and contact whether it is by phone emails or letters. Good luck

Mightytonewheel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-08-2016
File Transfer...
02-08-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-13-2016
If the media ever caught wind that CIC was discriminating against women sponsors, believe me, there'd be hell to pay. I doubt it would even be possible for CIC to maintain such a policy -- it would certainly be very difficult to keep it quiet. So I agree with Ponga. It's unlikely to the point of being crazy.

Your bigger problem may be convincing CIC that your relationship is authentic. From what I can tell, you've known him for several years but only met twice, and got engaged after the second meeting, and then married very shortly after that. This lack of actual time together, lack of time in a romantic relationship, and very short engagement period may generate red flags. So you'll want to prepare your relationship evidence carefully, including as much as you can demonstrating the authenticity of the relationship. I would suggest getting letters of reference from family and friends, as well.

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
Mightytonewheel said:
If the media ever caught wind that CIC was discriminating against women sponsors, believe me, there'd be hell to pay. I doubt it would even be possible for CIC to maintain such a policy -- it would certainly be very difficult to keep it quiet. So I agree with Ponga. It's unlikely to the point of being crazy.

Your bigger problem may be convincing CIC that your relationship is authentic. From what I can tell, you've known him for several years but only met twice, and got engaged after the second meeting, and then married very shortly after that. This lack of actual time together, lack of time in a romantic relationship, and very short engagement period may generate red flags. So you'll want to prepare your relationship evidence carefully, including as much as you can demonstrating the authenticity of the relationship. I would suggest getting letters of reference from family and friends, as well.
This, BUT REMEMBER: HAVING A CHILD DOES NOT PROVE A RELATIONSHIP IS GENUINE OR LEAD TO FASTER PROCESSING. All it proves is that you had sex at least once - and one night does not a marriage make. It sounds from your post like you are actually considering this crazy idea so I thought it was worth throwing out there. Anyone who told you different was lying or lied to. Seriously. It won't help and it's not fair to bring a child into the world under those circumstances.

As a side note - men and women are equal in Canada in the eyes of the law and society as a whole. As a Canadian citizen you should really have taken this to heart a long time ago. There are some slight differences in pay etc but that's mostly due to the whole, bearing children and requiring maternity/medical leave thing. It's not right, but it gets better all the time.

If there is a difference in the treatment of sponsors depending on their gender, I would think that it would go the other way actually. The stereotype is of "mail order brides", after all..

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Actually IRCC/CIC does kinda discriminate in a way... that is because they take into account cultural norms of the applicant's home country. For example, in many parts of the world, it is not unusual for large age gaps between a couple if the man is older but it is unusual for the woman to be older. Also it is expected that the man will have more education and income because in many cultures it is expected that the man will support the woman (and a women would want to "marry up" instead of "marry down"). So women who are significantly older than their husbands often get a bit more scrutiny depending on where they came from. And women who have more income and education will get a bit more scrutiny. Doesn't mean a rejection... but it means they will take a closer look. Is it a bit sexist and discriminatory? Probably. But that is because CIC/IRCC is looking for relationship "out of the norm"

Masriixo

Jul 5, 2015
App. Filed.......
April 15th, 2015
LANDED..........
June 20th, 2017
I'm also a woman sponsoring my Iraqi husband. Honestly if you go into the amman thread (where your case will likely be sent) you can kinda see that man that are sponsoring their wives takes way less time. I'm not sure if it's because lack of travel history but it's just an observation,

Don't worry too much about relationship evidence. If you love your husband it will show. My hubby and I started talking on Facebook through a mutual friend in September. We did our Fatiha over Skype in November with our parents. And we both flew to Amman to have our wedding in December. I couldn't be happier. When you find your naseeb everything just happens ;)

We didn't actually apply until April so we gathered more evidence of our relationship but the officers can see if it is genuine or not!

Goodluck and check out the Amman thread when you apply

aylar10

Jun 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-09-2016
File Transfer...
27-09-2016 (SA)
Med's Done....
30-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2016
LANDED..........
10-11-2016
dominokitty said:
This, BUT REMEMBER: HAVING A CHILD DOES NOT PROVE A RELATIONSHIP IS GENUINE OR LEAD TO FASTER PROCESSING. All it proves is that you had sex at least once - and one night does not a marriage make. It sounds from your post like you are actually considering this crazy idea so I thought it was worth throwing out there. Anyone who told you different was lying or lied to. Seriously. It won't help and it's not fair to bring a child into the world under those circumstances.

As a side note - men and women are equal in Canada in the eyes of the law and society as a whole. As a Canadian citizen you should really have taken this to heart a long time ago. There are some slight differences in pay etc but that's mostly due to the whole, bearing children and requiring maternity/medical leave thing. It's not right, but it gets better all the time.

If there is a difference in the treatment of sponsors depending on their gender, I would think that it would go the other way actually. The stereotype is of "mail order brides", after all..
Thank you for your response. But no, I am not considering getting pregnant at all. I saw the hardship one of the ladies I mentioned above went through, so there is no way, I would want to put myself through that.
I know men and women are equal, but in terms of filing the application to CIC, I heard that men that were being sponsored had to provide more documentation such as proof of employment, education and etc whereas these were not requested from women. Again, I heard about these experiences myself and not from a friend of a friend of a friend..
We both have steady jobs, we have no problem of providing proof of employment, education and etc. I am just worried that we might miss something and our application will get rejected..

aylar10

Jun 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-09-2016
File Transfer...
27-09-2016 (SA)
Med's Done....
30-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2016
LANDED..........
10-11-2016
Mightytonewheel said:

The thing is I had known him while growing up because he was a family friend but that was in our childhood and I've been in Canada over 18 years. We connected as an adult in 2011 and I am not sure if any of that matters to CIC.. We have already asked for letters of reference from family and friends. His mother, aunt, his friend, my mom and best friend are writing us letters. I don't know if I have to notarized them or not, that's a different question. The letters will be written in English as most of these people live in Canada except his mom.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

aylar10

Jun 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-09-2016
File Transfer...
27-09-2016 (SA)
Med's Done....
30-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2016
LANDED..........
10-11-2016
Masriixo said:
I'm also a woman sponsoring my Iraqi husband. Honestly if you go into the amman thread (where your case will likely be sent) you can kinda see that man that are sponsoring their wives takes way less time. I'm not sure if it's because lack of travel history but it's just an observation,

Don't worry too much about relationship evidence. If you love your husband it will show. My hubby and I started talking on Facebook through a mutual friend in September. We did our Fatiha over Skype in November with our parents. And we both flew to Amman to have our wedding in December. I couldn't be happier. When you find your naseeb everything just happens ;)

We didn't actually apply until April so we gathered more evidence of our relationship but the officers can see if it is genuine or not!

Goodluck and check out the Amman thread when you apply
Thank you so much for your response and the hope you are giving me. I believe my file will be sent to Turkey office as the visa applications from Iran will be processed in there. I hope there is a Turkey Thread that I can check and read :) we do have documentations, emails, chats, phone conversations since 2011. But we were more friends than a couple. The friendship developed into a relationship since last August but as someone mentioned, I am afraid that CIC will see the timeline too short or tight and it will become a red flag for them. Anyway, thanks again and I hope my process will go smoothly too :)

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
keesio said:
Actually IRCC/CIC does kinda discriminate in a way... that is because they take into account cultural norms of the applicant's home country. For example, in many parts of the world, it is not unusual for large age gaps between a couple if the man is older but it is unusual for the woman to be older. Also it is expected that the man will have more education and income because in many cultures it is expected that the man will support the woman (and a women would want to "marry up" instead of "marry down"). So women who are significantly older than their husbands often get a bit more scrutiny depending on where they came from. And women who have more income and education will get a bit more scrutiny. Doesn't mean a rejection... but it means they will take a closer look. Is it a bit sexist and discriminatory? Probably. But that is because CIC/IRCC is looking for relationship "out of the norm"
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/06/10/couple-rejected-over-south-asian-stereotypes-caught-in-immigration-backlog.html

Go figure.... you can call it sexism or discrimination...it's happening.

*Mandie*

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Got that right Proving it is another thing LOL

M

mikeymyke

You mention that most of his family lives in Canada except his mom correct?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
mandiebraxton said:
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/06/10/couple-rejected-over-south-asian-stereotypes-caught-in-immigration-backlog.html

Go figure.... you can call it sexism or discrimination...it's happening.

*Mandie*
What??? 2 years? That is nuts. I'm sure that was not the primary reason (I hope not!)

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Mightytonewheel said:

CIC does discriminate against women who sponsor their husbands -- they do it by applying the 'traditional' test, which is normally biased against women. For example:

A man, 55 years old, marries a 30 year old woman from Thailand. She is his second wife. No big deal, this is pretty normal. They have some form of wedding, no big party, he hangs out with her for a year or so in her village, sponsors her. They get the visa without much trouble.

A woman, 55 years old, marries a 30 year old man from Morocco. He is her second husband. They have a traditional wedding with his family but not hers because it is too far away for them to go. They get called in for an interview, and he is asked again and again "Why did you marry an old woman? Why did you marry a woman who is not a virgin? Why did you marry a woman who has been divorced? Why this age gap? Why?" He never gets a visa to emigrate to Canada.

How is this not discrimination? CIC judges relationships based on traditional standards; and traditional standards discriminate against women.