+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it fine to apply for my spouse's PR later?

PR_Help

Apr 3, 2012
Hello,
I am ready to apply for my PR under Canadian experience class and was thinking to apply for my spouse's PR at a later time because she is a US Green Card Holder and I just realized that in order to apply for her PR I need FBI Police Clearance which takes 14 to 18 weeks time.

I cannot wait for this period so what would be the best scenario in my case.

1) Apply for my PR alone right now and when I get my PR Card then apply for her PR as well.

OR

2) Apply for PR for both, pay her PR fee as well and submit the application without her FBI Police Clearance.

Thanks

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hey PR_Help.

Ofcourse option 2, in my opinion.

If you read the guidelines for the application, you'd know that Police Certificates are not required initially. You can go ahead with the rest of the application for both of you. Attach a cover letter and note down in bullet points, which documents are pending and by when you expect it to send it to CIC.

You can later send police certificates, but first send all the critical documents for both of you to start the application process and get your AOR asap.

Secondly, i believe by PR fee you meant application fee. There is another fee which you will be required to pay towards the end of the process which is called RPRF.

All the best.

PR_Help

Apr 3, 2012
Thank you for your quick reply :). I really appreciate your help.

I will do as you suggest and put a cover letter stating that I will mail the FBI Police Check as soon as possible.

Thanks once again.

EDIT: I tried to send you a PM InfoSeeker12 but was not allowed since I am a Newbie here.

htrak

Jan 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
03-03-2014
Med's Done....
24-03-2014
Passport Req..
07-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2014
LANDED..........
10-05-2014
I agree with InfoSeeker12. Just to add, getting the FBI clearance is not that difficult. FBI sends the report to us in about 6-8 weeks time.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
If you send in the fingerprint to FBI correctly (do it in any police station), then u will receive the result with in 6 weeks (for sure!).

Also you can not keep your spouse out of your application. As the CIC guide says "Even if your spouse never intends to travel to Canada, we still consider your spouse as a potential immigrant - thus your spouse also needs to be eligible for PR to Canada, and all information needs to be entered during the application process"

PR_Help

Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for all your replies. As suggested, I have applied for both of us together and in the cover letter I have included that I will be sending in the Police Clearance for my wife soon.

Can anyone give me a rough time estimate under which I have to send in my spouse's FBI Clearance?

Also, how should my wife start the FBI Clearance process?

Thanks.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
The website says FBI clearance takes a lot of time, but trust me, it Won't.

Just google, "Fbi fingerprint clearance", it will take u to FBI's clearance website.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks/submitting-a-criminal-history-summary-request-to-the-fbi

See details on the sites.

Step 1: Complete the Applicant Information Form. (downloadable from their site)
Step 2: Obtain a set of your fingerprints. (any local police station, would do this, they may charge a fee)
Step 3: Submit payment. (credit card/money order)
Step 4: Mail the required items listed above—signed applicant information form, fingerprint card, and payment of $18 U.S. dollars for each person or copy requested—to the following address:

FBI CJIS Division – Summary Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

My wife applied for this twice, and both times she got it, with in 5-6 weeks.