+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it advisable to apply for spouse open work permit together with my study permit?

ajes123

Feb 11, 2021
Hello!

I have received admission in Seneca College for Fall 2021. I am married and want my spouse to travel with me on an open work permit. I have a few questions regarding the visa process.

1. If I have all my documents in place, should I apply for my visa in March for Fall 2021 admission or is it advisable to apply a little close to the intake?
2. Should I apply in the SDS or non-SDS category? (I have been reading that non-SDS applications are being processed while SDS are stuck. Is this true?)
3. Should I apply for my husband's visa in the same application or should I wait till I receive my visa and then apply for him?

Thanks in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. Apply anytime as processing times are long.
2. Depends on your profile. SDS is supposed to be faster. Assume you have IELTs tests completed.
3. Apply with your study permit. If refused, you can reapply when you are accepted and come to Canada.

Dolex86

May 11, 2019
Hello,
Please can you share when you applied for the admission and when you got your admission letter cos I applied to the same school and imbyet to get a feedback
Thanks
Hello!

I have received admission in Seneca College for Fall 2021. I am married and want my spouse to travel with me on an open work permit. I have a few questions regarding the visa process.

1. If I have all my documents in place, should I apply for my visa in March for Fall 2021 admission or is it advisable to apply a little close to the intake?
2. Should I apply in the SDS or non-SDS category? (I have been reading that non-SDS applications are being processed while SDS are stuck. Is this true?)
3. Should I apply for my husband's visa in the same application or should I wait till I receive my visa and then apply for him?

Thanks in advance!

ajes123

Feb 11, 2021
1. Apply anytime as processing times are long.
2. Depends on your profile. SDS is supposed to be faster. Assume you have IELTs tests completed.
3. Apply with your study permit. If refused, you can reapply when you are accepted and come to Canada.
Thank you for your response. I do have all the paperwork to even go via SDS. My only apprehension is that I have been reading on different threads here that SDS applications have remained stuck for a long time while non-SDS have been moving forward.

ajes123

Feb 11, 2021
Hello,
Please can you share when you applied for the admission and when you got your admission letter cos I applied to the same school and imbyet to get a feedback
Thanks
Hi,

I applied for the Bundled Graduate Certificate programs. I applied on 26th Jan, 2021 and received my offer letter on 30th Jan, 2021. Which program have you applied for?

Dolex86

May 11, 2019
I applied for a Graduate Certificate in Supply Chain Management and Global Logistics. I applied since 21st January 2021

shopnodana91

Dec 20, 2016
Bangladesh
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-01-2021
Med's Request
02-03-2021
Med's Done....
08-03-2021
Passport Req..
01-04-2021
Hello!

Thanks in advance!
1. Apply as quick as possible as the processing time is high now.
2.No. If you are eligible to SDS go for it. Its faster than Non-SDS
3. Try to apply for your spouse for OWP along with your SP if you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses for the study period.
Thanks

kvn1994

Sep 21, 2020
Hi, my wife got visa for study and i got visa for dependent open work permit. We applied via non sds and we dont hv ielts results but it was not needed for us bcoz we studied from usa. We both applied together in october 2020 from usa as an indian passport holder . We both got the visa. My wife in canada right now but due to covid i am not able to enter canada. Apply before 4-5 months of your study start date. It takes too muchtime nowadays. Bestof luck . You can both apply together. Give as much proof u can to make ur profile strong