+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is It A Good Idea To Mention In Your SOP that You Picked Another Course Initially?

SpaceTraveller

Nov 2, 2019
Here's the issue: I already have an undergraduate degree and now I found a post-graduate diploma that I was interested in. The post grad diploma is in a different field from my undergrad degree, since I am planning on switching careers.

However after applying, the college told me that my application was fine, but all of the seats in that PG diploma were filled up. So they gave me admission into my 2nd course choice. My 2nd course choice is very similar to my first choice. It contains the same topics that can benefit me in my career goals. However it is not a PG level diploma. It's a base level diploma (high school graduates can apply for it too). And it contains a few more topics.

I've heard people online say that if a person already has an undergraduate degree, they should only apply for a PG level diploma or degree. Applying for another undergraduate degree or a base level diploma is seen as a red flag in study permit applications, because it doesn't make sense to the officer. Ideally the applicant should be stepping up in their education pursuit: Undergraduate > Post graduate.

So do you think its a good idea to mention your statement of purpose, that you initially got acceptance into your first choice (the PG diploma) but you were later informed that you were waitlisted so you moved onto your 2nd choice? Because otherwise the officer might wonder why you're doing a diploma course instead of a post-graduate level course.

Is it a good idea to mention this? I talked to some education consultants, and they told me that I should not bother explaining this because I should only focus on the one course which I have gotten into and nothing else. However I felt like their advice was a little too generic. Obviously that would apply to a lot of other cases but this case is slightly more unique.

They said that if I mention all this, then the officer might think that I'm not that focused and question why I accepted my 2nd choice course when I wanted my first choice in the first place. They might see it as lack of determination.

The education consultants told me that its pretty common for people to do multiple diploma degree when switching to another career so its not a big deal if I'm doing another base level diploma.

What do you think? Is it a good idea to mention all this?