+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is indian drivers license valid in canda

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right that there is no need to get an international license but if you don't, you need a translation of your Indian license. It's better to get that translation while you can. Maybe it's not a problem to find a translator from Hindi in Alberta but for some languages, it can be a problem.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
jckdry said:
Thanks Leon u r the man
We can even take test in hindi - sounds good for some family members
Only one question - R international driving permit and indian driver's license with microchip - treated the same way ???
If they r same then there is no point paying 4500 Rs extra to get international driving permit in India, as an indian license would suffice in Alberta for first 90 days and applying for learners license
ie. In Alberta - an indian license = international driving permit
So, no need to get an international driving permit in India if we have valid indian driving license with microchip and driving records
All the process sounds crystal clear tho
Dear Jck...

Whether the Indian DL has a microchip or not won't make any diff on the Canadian DL process. The m/chip thing is applicable only with NA & Euro DL cases. And in any case the non-reciprocal agreement countries cannot swap their DLs. The m/chip aspect deals only with the swapping issue.

However, if u have read user "nimmiboy's" post, earlier on this thread, which quoted me on my Dubai thread, u'd see the process for getting our Canadian DLs using our overseas driving exp is same for any non-swappable country. As 'Leon' rightly said above, we needn't get an Intl. DL, we can safely get an 'explanation letter' from our present country's 'Roads & Transport Authority' (*whatever name it goes by), the issuer of DLs in our present abode.

This letter MUST be in English** (or French) stating 3 things:
1. The total yrs of our driving exp.
2. A translation of the referred DL.
3. Punitive measures on our DL (if any).

The reason for this letter is mainly for assessing our previous driving history, which should be MORE THAN 2 YRS, to get a 'waiver' on the waiting & graduated pd. That shall hold us good to obtain the G2 license. This refers to both, AB as well as ON licensing.

*in Dubai the RTA issues that letter in English, for AED 60/- thru its Rashidiya office.
**When u get that in English (or French), u avoid another headache/cost on translations.

Regards,
Qorax

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With a driving experience of 2 years or more, you should be able to take the advanced road test (AB) or G2 road test (ON) to get a full license (class 5 in AB or class G in ON).

With a driving experience less then 2 years, you should be able to take the basic road test (AB) or G1 road test (ON) to get a GDL license (AB) or G2 license (ON).

The GDL/G2 licenses are subject to certain conditions but most importantly, you can still drive by yourself with them.

If you fail to prove that you have a foreign license, then you can only take the written test and get a learners license (AB) or G1 license (ON) with which you can only drive with another person who has a full license plus other conditions may apply.

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
Qorax,
The reason I asked for microchip was because of page 10 on this :
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/mv/GDL_Exemption_User_Guide_09JAN13.pdf
And I asked this cause I was not able to understand the website and all these unheard terms G1, GDL, class 5 etc was causing confusion
But now everything some clear
Thanks to Leon and u

sivasagi

Jan 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I need to apply for credit, so, can anyone send a authorization letter copy to my email :- sagi_sivaji@hotmail.com.

regards,
Akash

bujji

Dec 9, 2013
I have landed last year to Canada and moved back to usa. I have got speeding ticket here in usa. I am now planning to move to Canada permanently. I can exchange my usa driving license for a canadian one.
I know i have to get my driving record in usa for better insurance rates in canada.

If i do the defensive driving course in usa, will it reduce my insurance rates in canada. I am concerned about the vehicle insurance rates in canada.

Any advice would be great

edmonta

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
0711 & 9212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2010
Doc's Request.
30-sept-2010
AOR Received.
1st-30th Sept 2010,2nd-08th June 2011
IELTS Request
done-7 band
File Transfer...
dont know what is this..in process from 26 april 2012
Med's Request
19-July-2013
Med's Done....
30-July-2013,ECAS updated with Medicals received on 18-Aug-2013
Interview........
not been called for..
Passport Req..
19-July-13
VISA ISSUED...
On 4th October 2013
LANDED..........
July 2014
As noted from servicealberta site,one must surrender his/her out of country licence to get one in Edmonton.How true is this and what shall we do if we wanna travel back to our home country?
I have Driving licences from Abu Dhabi & India.Should I surrender the both? :eek: :(
Regards,
Edmonta

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bujji said:
I have landed last year to Canada and moved back to usa. I have got speeding ticket here in usa. I am now planning to move to Canada permanently. I can exchange my usa driving license for a canadian one.
I know i have to get my driving record in usa for better insurance rates in canada.

If i do the defensive driving course in usa, will it reduce my insurance rates in canada. I am concerned about the vehicle insurance rates in canada.

Any advice would be great
First talk to some insurance brokers. I would advise not to spend time and money on a course you don't know if you will get any credit for. They may also suggest you do a defensive driving course in Canada instead.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
edmonta said:
As noted from servicealberta site,one must surrender his/her out of country licence to get one in Edmonton.How true is this and what shall we do if we wanna travel back to our home country?
I have Driving licences from Abu Dhabi & India.Should I surrender the both? :eek: :(
Regards,
Edmonta
It is true and as far as I know, they don't want you to have more than one license. If you travel back to your home country, they should let you drive on your Canadian license as any other Canadian visitor.

If you wish to keep either the Indian license or the Abu Dhabi license, you can surrender the other one but don't tell anyone that you kept one and don't make a habit of carrying them both on your person at the same time. When in Canada, use the Canadian license and when you travel home, take the other one.

edmonta

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
0711 & 9212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2010
Doc's Request.
30-sept-2010
AOR Received.
1st-30th Sept 2010,2nd-08th June 2011
IELTS Request
done-7 band
File Transfer...
dont know what is this..in process from 26 april 2012
Med's Request
19-July-2013
Med's Done....
30-July-2013,ECAS updated with Medicals received on 18-Aug-2013
Interview........
not been called for..
Passport Req..
19-July-13
VISA ISSUED...
On 4th October 2013
LANDED..........
July 2014
thanks leon,got it..
regards
Edmonta

brajesh388

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
hi,

if I have international driver's license in india do I still have to get the Canadian license or I can drive in canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
brajesh388 said:
hi,

if I have international driver's license in india do I still have to get the Canadian license or I can drive in canada
You can drive in Canada as a visitor. If you are moving to Canada, you have to get a Canadian license. The time limit depends on the province. In Ontario, it's 2 months, in many other provinces it is 3 but in some it is 4-6.

brajesh388

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
what abt Alberta will I be able to drive using Inidan IDP (international Driving PERMIT) for one year if I come to alberta as an immigrant.

Never Say Never

Star Member
May 6, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
File Transfer...
29-10-2014 ( PER Received)
Med's Request
02-02-2015
Med's Done....
07-02-2015
Passport Req..
10-03-2015
LANDED..........
June!
Hi!

We ( my husband & me) have a Indian DL. We plan to settle in BC.( Vancouver ) Could you plz tell us if our Indian DL would be valid for at least 2-3 months till we get a Canadian DL? And also what is the process for getting a DL in Vancouver ? Is it same as Alberta? We are planning to buy a second hand car when we land since we have our daughter who is in elementry, would be required to be dropped and picked up from the school.

Is more logical to buy a second hand small car or a new one?
Will the car insurance for a new immigrant be more expensive ?
How long will it take to get a DL ?

Sorry! A lot of questions! But your input would be more than welcome!

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Never Say Never said:
Hi!

We ( my husband & me) have a Indian DL. We plan to settle in BC.( Vancouver ) Could you plz tell us if our Indian DL would be valid for at least 2-3 months till we get a Canadian DL? And also what is the process for getting a DL in Vancouver ? Is it same as Alberta? We are planning to buy a second hand car when we land since we have our daughter who is in elementry, would be required to be dropped and picked up from the school.

Is more logical to buy a second hand small car or a new one?
Will the car insurance for a new immigrant be more expensive ?
How long will it take to get a DL ?

Sorry! A lot of questions! But your input would be more than welcome!

Thanks!
Go to icbc.com for info about how to get DL in BC.

You will need to get a letter from your out-of-country auto insurance issuer in order to get discount from ICBC.