IS IELTS writing re evaluation worth?

vibhu1989

Nov 20, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys!

I just got my IELTS score and scored R/L/S/W as 8/8.5/8/6.5. Now I was hopeful of getting 7 in reading and by other scores remaining same I would have been sitting at 478 points in EE but the score of 6.5 has brought me down to 420. What do you reckon, would going for remarking of writing section be of any help? Given the scenario, time is not a constraint.
Looking forward to your opinions and experiences.

Cheers
VA

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
vibhu1989 said:
Hey Guys!

I just got my IELTS score and scored R/L/S/W as 8/8.5/8/6.5. Now I was hopeful of getting 7 in reading and by other scores remaining same I would have been sitting at 478 points in EE but the score of 6.5 has brought me down to 420. What do you reckon, would going for remarking of writing section be of any help? Given the scenario, time is not a constraint.

Cheers
VA
You can surely try...if you improve good for you, you'll push your score...if you don't you are anyway 420...what you loose is $265 as IETS Fee and other expense on logistics etc...

Worth a try, with some preparation...

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
vibhu1989 said:
Hey Guys!

Cheers
VA
there is another column on this forum for specific discussion about IELTS. i suggest you follow that. all your queries should be answered at there..

NR_John

Dec 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vibhu1989 said:
Hey Guys!

Cheers
VA
sending IELTS for remarking doesnt make much difference actually. Listening and Reading are strictly points based on the answers we input. But Writing and Speaking are strictly based on how we perform and the invigilators are very thorough about their marking criteria.

Is is highly unlikely you will get a 0.5 upgrade for your writing score if given for reevaluation. because the costs for revaluation is almost the same as giving another test and it may much longer time than anticipated.

since all your other sections are well scored, i would strongly suggest you give another test, but only this time practice more with your writing skills. there are numerous websites which assists with many tips and tricks how to tackle writing segment. just google "ielts writing tips and tricks" and there'll be plenty to look at.

All the best bro.

imrankhan2015

Star Member
Oct 13, 2015
I don't agree with NR_John

My IELTs score was L, R, W, S was 8.5, 8.5 ,7.0, 6.5 and I applied for re-evaluation for speaking. My score was increased by 0.5 and I achieved CLB 9 this way.

I recommend that you should go for the review of your writing score only and there is a very high probability that your score will be increased to 7.0

In fact, reviewing score for reading and listing has almost no chance of change, but there is much higher probability of getting score increase in Writing and Speaking. Moreover, as you have scored very well in all other sections, specially your score is 8.0 in Speaking, I'm almost 100% sure that your writing score will be increased to 7.0 provided that you didn't do a big blunder in writing section of your test

Best of luck for the review

Biggeee

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov. 30, 2016
AOR Received.
Dec. 1, 2016
Med's Request
passed Jan. 22 2017
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
March 2
VISA ISSUED...
March 6
LANDED..........
March 10
I and my spouse had same experience. we were both successful in our re-evaluation, although it was in speaking. So you never can tell.

imrankhan2015 said:

My IELTs score was L, R, W, S was 8.5, 8.5 ,7.0, 6.5 and I applied for re-evaluation for speaking. My score was increased by 0.5 and I achieved CLB 9 this way.

I recommend that you should go for the review of your writing score only and there is a very high probability that your score will be increased to 7.0

In fact, reviewing score for reading and listing has almost no chance of change, but there is much higher probability of getting score increase in Writing and Speaking. Moreover, as you have scored very well in all other sections, specially your score is 8.0 in Speaking, I'm almost 100% sure that your writing score will be increased to 7.0 provided that you didn't do a big blunder in writing section of your test

NR_John

Dec 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
imrankhan2015 said:

well, if it has worked for you, then maybe i guess it does work for some places. The Ielts office in my current place of residence has told me what i shared. so Maybe it depends from place to place.

If there's a remote chance of improving with re-evaluation, then definitely go for that. Its simpler said than done about doing the whole exam again.

all the best.

abhishekool143

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2016
AOR Received.
29-11-2016
Med's Done....
Medical Passed 18th Jan
Passport Req..
13 Feb 2017
vibhu1989 said:
Hey Guys!

Cheers
VA
For me it worked so I would say Yes, you can give it a try. I sent it for re-evaluation for writing as my score was 6.5 in Aug 2016. After 1 month, I received an email from them that your dollars are refunded and score has changed from 6.5 to 7.

dr.psr

Star Member
Dec 14, 2016
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07/04/2017
Med's Done....
10/06/2017
LANDED..........
Maybe/ maybe not
vibhu1989 said:
Hey Guys!

Cheers
VA
U should surely try. If you have 8 in speaking it means u r good wiyh vocab and grammer. It happened with me too. I got 6.5 in writing but on reevalutaion got 0.5 bands amd jumped my score to 467. I will recommend you to go for it considering your scores in rest of modules

jj_1990

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
Hey Guys!

Cheers
VA
So did you get a positive result on remarking?
I am in a similar situation right now, with L/R/S/W scores of 9/8.5/7.5/6.5. A 0.5 increase n writing would take my CRS score to 478 from 420.

CanDAspirant

Mar 13, 2018
Wrote IELTS with IDP-General-Computer Based on 19th December:
LRWS: 8/9/6.5/7.5

Applied for revaluation on Jan 4th.
Result came today(Jan 9th).
Writing score increased by 1 band.
LRWS: 8/9/7.5/7.5

Go for EOR if you are confident about your writing

sk1206

Jan 10, 2019
I took IELTS GT Computer Based on 30th December 2018 at IDP Chandigarh. Now I got result:
L-8.5
R-9
W-6.5
S-7

Should I go for EOR? The writing module was easy and I was expecting 7+ in writing. Is it possible to get 0.5 band increase in writing?

sk1206

Jan 10, 2019
Wrote IELTS with IDP-General-Computer Based on 19th December:
LRWS: 8/9/6.5/7.5

Applied for revaluation on Jan 4th.
Result came today(Jan 9th).
Writing score increased by 1 band.
LRWS: 8/9/7.5/7.5

Go for EOR if you are confident about your writing
Which was your test center?

AkashBR

Dec 21, 2018
Just sharing the experience of one my colleague who is an IELTS faculty. I am not intending to give any negative vibes but these are realistic experience I have come across.

He got 9/8/8/6.5 (6.5 in writing) in October [General Training] (British Council)

He was pretty sure that he'd crack it and so was I. He sent for rechecking and after 4 weeks, the result was the same.

Another guy who had 8.5/8/6.5/6.5 (S/W) (I don't know if British Council or IDP)

He also sent for rechecking and he got 7 in speaking but his writing came back as it is.

jemima_philip

Apr 15, 2019
Hi guys,
I got a score of 8/8/7/6.5 in R/L/S/W. I was hoping a better score in Writing. Is it worth trying for revaluation? Or will my current score decrease furthermore?
Please help !