+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is IEC to CEC even possible? Any success stories?

heysoulsister

May 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys, I've decided to create an account here in hopes of finding someone who has been through what I'm currently facing and can accurately advise me on my next steps.

I've received an email from CIC stating that my application for the IEC visa is successful and that I have within a year to enter Canada with that Visa. I have no idea how unrealistic some of you think this might be.. but my plan is actually to land in Canada with a visitor visa, start hunting for a job and then activate my IEC visa on my first day of work so that i can fulfill CEC's requirement of 12 months full time work experience in Canada.

However, I only have 1 year of working experience in the finance sector (I'm turning 23 this year) meaning there's going to be sooo many other foreign workers with better experiences/credentials than me.. not to mention the locals...

So my question is, does this plan even sound feasible? Even if i am willing to take any job that qualifies for the CEC's requirement is it even possible for me to get a job considering that employers will know that my visa is only valid for a year? Or should i look for a 1 year contract position (but does it qualify for CEC's requirements?)

And even if I do find a job (be it a 1 year contract or permanent employment), will i even qualify for the CEC program since my work experience will only be exactly 1 year (IEC for Singaporeans cannot be renewed).

I'd really hope someone who has been through similar issues can help me out here......................

Thanks in advance!!! Grin

heysoulsister

May 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
[size=10pt]any kind souls out there??
[/size]
:(
heysoulsister said:
Hi guys, I've decided to create an account here in hopes of finding someone who has been through what I'm currently facing and can accurately advise me on my next steps.

I've received an email from CIC stating that my application for the IEC visa is successful and that I have within a year to enter Canada with that Visa. I have no idea how unrealistic some of you think this might be.. but my plan is actually to land in Canada with a visitor visa, start hunting for a job and then activate my IEC visa on my first day of work so that i can fulfill CEC's requirement of 12 months full time work experience in Canada.

However, I only have 1 year of working experience in the finance sector (I'm turning 23 this year) meaning there's going to be sooo many other foreign workers with better experiences/credentials than me.. not to mention the locals...

So my question is, does this plan even sound feasible? Even if i am willing to take any job that qualifies for the CEC's requirement is it even possible for me to get a job considering that employers will know that my visa is only valid for a year? Or should i look for a 1 year contract position (but does it qualify for CEC's requirements?)

And even if I do find a job (be it a 1 year contract or permanent employment), will i even qualify for the CEC program since my work experience will only be exactly 1 year (IEC for Singaporeans cannot be renewed).

I'd really hope someone who has been through similar issues can help me out here......................

Thanks in advance!!! Grin

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your plan could work. If you activate your IEC visa only on the first day of work, you will get your 12 months before your visa runs out unless maybe if you end up getting laid off and not finding another job or something like that.

Because IEC is an open work visa, it would be on you to prove that your job really was a skilled one. In order to prove that, you would need a letter from the employer when the time comes, listing your duties matching some skilled NOC and immigration will probably also check that you were making the kind of money that corresponds with that position.

It is also possible if you find an employer who wants to keep you that they will apply for your LMO for you to get a regular work permit and stay on and if they do, you will have more time.

heysoulsister

May 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Your plan could work. If you activate your IEC visa only on the first day of work, you will get your 12 months before your visa runs out unless maybe if you end up getting laid off and not finding another job or something like that.

Because IEC is an open work visa, it would be on you to prove that your job really was a skilled one. In order to prove that, you would need a letter from the employer when the time comes, listing your duties matching some skilled NOC and immigration will probably also check that you were making the kind of money that corresponds with that position.

It is also possible if you find an employer who wants to keep you that they will apply for your LMO for you to get a regular work permit and stay on and if they do, you will have more time.
Do you have any idea whether i can arrive in Canada as a tourist when I'm looking for a job and only activate my IEC visa when i am already in Canada? I asked the consultant who helped to apply for my IEC visa and she said that it's not possible.. But then again, it's a pretty new programme over here in my country and i doubt the consultant really know the rules too...

Thanks! :p

heysoulsister

May 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iam_toby said:
You need 12 months of full-time ( 30 hrs or more per week ) employment in a skilled position in order to be eligible under the CEC criteria.
If you find a position, and get your 12 months, you can apply under the CEC for sure.

Hope this helps.
Do you have any idea whether i can arrive in Canada as a tourist when I'm looking for a job and only activate my IEC visa when i am already in Canada? I asked the consultant who helped to apply for my IEC visa and she said that it's not possible.. But then again, it's a pretty new programme over here in my country and i doubt the consultant really know the rules too...

Thanks! :p

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard of a UK person with an IEC visa doing this, that is entering Canada but as a visitor and saying they don't want to activate the IEC visa yet. However, before you go, you should also spend time setting up interviews so you know where to start looking for a job right away. Make sure they are skilled positions so you don't waste your time. It is also possible if the employer wants to keep you that they will apply for your LMO and you can apply for a regular work permit. That way, you will have more time to work and qualify.