+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Hiring an Immigration Lawyer better than Working on your own?

Apr 28, 2018
My fiancé and I are planning to get married next year. I am a Filipino citizen working in the US with an H1B visa. We were supposed to get an immigration lawyer in the Philippines to help us out in the spouse visa application. But since I will be in the states while we are processing the visa, we might just choose the Ottawa visa office as it would be nearer my current location. (Or do we have other options for this? Like apply in a visa office in the US?) He is from Alberta and I am currently based in California (if those infos help) Moving on, how much is the average cost of getting an immigration lawyer in to help us out with the processing? Shall we get one in Canada or in the US? Is it worth it?

All help will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My fiancé and I are planning to get married next year. I am a Filipino citizen working in the US with an H1B visa. We were supposed to get an immigration lawyer in the Philippines to help us out in the spouse visa application. But since I will be in the states while we are processing the visa, we might just choose the Ottawa visa office as it would be nearer my current location. (Or do we have other options for this? Like apply in a visa office in the US?) He is from Alberta and I am currently based in California (if those infos help) Moving on, how much is the average cost of getting an immigration lawyer in to help us out with the processing? Shall we get one in Canada or in the US? Is it worth it?

You don't get to choose the VO. IRCC will decide whether to send the app to Ottawa or Manila.

The vast majority of people do the process without a lawyer.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017

A immigration lawyer/consultant is the best option to avoid any problem in the future
This blog give you general ideas but no solve any problem

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You don't need a lawyer. It's very easy to apply on your own. If you do want to use a lawyer, expect to pay $3K to $5K for someone decent.

As explained above, you cannot chose your visa office. IRCC will chose the visa office for you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A immigration lawyer/consultant is the best option to avoid any problem in the future
This blog give you general ideas but no solve any problem
This forum is full of stories of lawyers that screwed up people's apps.

I also suggest you read through the thousands of threads where people had their problems solved....

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

As someone who previously used an immigration consultant that screwed up my case several times and only got PR when I DIYed...all they'll do is give you a checklist of documents, which can be easily found for free on the IRCC website and this forum. You will still do all the work anyway. It's also better to DIY because you can "adapt" your documents to your case to make it stronger, based on the cases of people on this forum. Consultants will only ask you to do it the one way they know how. It's also easier to keep track of application statuses these days because it's all online.

kevon2310

Jul 13, 2016
Each persons case is different. For my PR process I did it myself and it worked fine.When I needed to apply for a PRTD, I used a law firm in Canada while I was based in the US. It worked out just fine as well.