+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is health card required to visit Doctor?

Aug 2, 2019
Hello, My wife and myself will be moving to Ontario, Canada in Oct or Nov 2021. We became Permanent Resident in Sep 2019, stayed there for 3 days, and moved back to USA. Since then we are in USA.

Question: My wife is currently 3 months Pregnant. I know there is no wait for OHIP card for now. However, just curious to know, if at all they introduce 3 month wait period again, then how will my wife get medical treatment, doctor visits, Gyno etc. What was the process before COVID? Can we not get medical treatment, Gyno appointments, doctor visits etc. without OHIP card, if I am willing to pay for it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Request your help on this. I need to ensure my wife can get proper medical support even without OHIP. Please share your thoughts.
Without OHIP you will need to pay for your treatment at the appointment but yes she could get treatment. She would need to see a GP first before being referred to an OB/GYN or midwife. Some offices aren’t set up to accept cash payments so call ahead to made sure they are accepting patients without OHIP. You
so must remain in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and 6 out of 12 months or you don’t have coverage and can be asked to repay all the healthcare you used. There are residency requirements to access healthcare even if you have a valid card. At the moment, due to covid, many appointments don’t allow you to bring another person to an appointment. Varies by office and can change at any minute.

Aug 2, 2019
Without OHIP you will need to pay for your treatment at the appointment but yes she could get treatment. She would need to see a GP first before being referred to an OB/GYN or midwife. Some offices aren’t set up to accept cash payments so call ahead to made sure they are accepting patients without OHIP. You
so must remain in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and 6 out of 12 months or you don’t have coverage and can be asked to repay all the healthcare you used. There are residency requirements to access healthcare even if you have a valid card. At the moment, due to covid, many appointments don’t allow you to bring another person to an appointment. Varies by office and can change at any minute.
Thanks you so much for the detailed response. Really appreciate it.