+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is freelancing considered a serious job by visa officer?

Mujtaba788

Aug 2, 2018
While applying for study permit, is it a rational step to mention that I've been doing freelancing?
It is so, because freelancing comes free of tax and could be difficult to prove with documents.
Secondly, would this be considered a serious job like a conventional job?

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Freelancing is akin to being self-employed. You would mention that and yes it is still considered to be an occupation that requires you to file taxes depending on where you work.

For skilled worker immigration purposes, you would need to show affidavits of contracts with previous clients that show the nature of work and the number of hours agreed, and that these hours add up to 30 hours per week or more to count as skilled work. Clients based in Canada or projects done while you were in Canada don't count.

Mujtaba788

Aug 2, 2018
Freelancing is akin to being self-employed. You would mention that and yes it is still considered to be an occupation that requires you to file taxes depending on where you work.

For skilled worker immigration purposes, you would need to show affidavits of contracts with previous clients that show the nature of work and the number of hours agreed, and that these hours add up to 30 hours per week or more to count as skilled work. Clients based in Canada or projects done while you were in Canada don't count.
Since the money comes directly in my bank account without tax deduction and I don't have a document to prove it too. Then should I mention it for a study permit visa?

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
It is not employment but personal history or life activity ..etc. You cannot list it as employment as you did not have an employer.

For study permit purposes, you will not be required to provide proof of your work but you should note that it weighs as nothing in terms of country-ties because you're naturally not confined to working in one place and there is no risk of losing your work as opposed to being employed with an actual employer. For this reason you should be prepared to present other ties such as family, investments or assets.. otherwise your visa application would unlikely be approved.

Mujtaba788

Aug 2, 2018
It is not employment but personal history or life activity ..etc. You cannot list it as employment as you did not have an employer.

For study permit purposes, you will not be required to provide proof of your work but you should note that it weighs as nothing in terms of country-ties because you're naturally not confined to working in one place and there is no risk of losing your work as opposed to being employed with an actual employer. For this reason you should be prepared to present other ties such as family, investments or assets.. otherwise your visa application would unlikely be approved.
Can't I list it either on CV or even on SOP?
Also, if the assets or investments are on my father's name, then can we consider it as a home tie? Or it has to be on my (student's) name?

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
No, you can't claim any of your father's assets or properties. You can't transfer it to yourself either because ties must have been held long-term, anything that just recently came to your possession will be seen as self serving for visa purposes only and thus will not be given value.

Mujtaba788

Aug 2, 2018
No, you can't claim any of your father's assets or properties. You can't transfer it to yourself either because ties must have been held long-term, anything that just recently came to your possession will be seen as self serving for visa purposes only and thus will not be given value.
Being a dependent student, can't have such stuff on my own name.. You know. What is the best survival in this regard?

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Being self-employed can be mentioned by you in SOP or in your CV but I think it will harm you just as it will help you. Generally, it may be related to your chosen field of study however it does not fit in the curriculum of a free lancer as one generally pursues education in the hopes of getting a job or moving up in one's career but that doesn't apply in your case as you are already self-employed.

I would suggest that you carefully craft your SOP and CV and follow the notion that you are seeking permanent employment in your own country to dispel any concerns that you are seeking to immigrate to Canada. Try to relate the work experience you had with your experience of job interviews you had in your own country and how a college degree could have made a difference for you.

I think you have a fair chance, however please note that you can only follow one approach if you apply once and then get rejected you can't apply again with a different approach otherwise you will be deemed not credible. It depends on what country you come from so if you have low rejection rates there you should be fine with weak ties.

Mujtaba788

Aug 2, 2018
Being self-employed can be mentioned by you in SOP or in your CV but I think it will harm you just as it will help you. Generally, it may be related to your chosen field of study however it does not fit in the curriculum of a free lancer as one generally pursues education in the hopes of getting a job or moving up in one's career but that doesn't apply in your case as you are already self-employed.

I would suggest that you carefully craft your SOP and CV and follow the notion that you are seeking permanent employment in your own country to dispel any concerns that you are seeking to immigrate to Canada. Try to relate the work experience you had with your experience of job interviews you had in your own country and how a college degree could have made a difference for you.

I think you have a fair chance, however please note that you can only follow one approach if you apply once and then get rejected you can't apply again with a different approach otherwise you will be deemed not credible. It depends on what country you come from so if you have low rejection rates there you should be fine with weak ties.
Thanks for helping me with this.

I have another thing in mind to discuss with you. Since I have an offer in Leadership program from Canada. So, can I mention it in my SOP that I have the plans to commence my own business in my home country after completing the degree? And craft a bit of business idea and its nature in SOP. Would that be a good idea?