+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Flagpole considered "been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other country or territory" in IMM 5669

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
My partner and I did two flagpoles in the Canada-US border. In both times, we just said to the US officer that we would like to make a flagpole and I would like to apply for a work permit. The US officer gave us a white paper that was later returned to the Canada CBSA officer. I didn't take a photo of it, but I seem to remember there was something like "Administrative denial" on it.

In the first case, the US officer let us go to a room. He asked a couple of questions and collected fingerprints and photo. Then, we headed back to Canada border. We weren't able to apply for the work permit the first time since the capacity is reached.

In the second case, we went to a different border. This time, the US officer did not ask many questions or collect biometrics and just let us make a U-turn.

Later, we applied for PR and recently received a letter from IRCC, saying they have a record of refused admission to the US on the day when we did flagpole for the first time. We include the two flagpoles in our Travel History section actually. The wording of the letter is not that harsh, compared with the other post (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/procedural-fairness-letter-entry-denial-at-us-border.730176/), simply asking for additional document/explanation. Our representative let us to write a detailed explanation, and then sign an affidavit for this, and acknowledge that we didn't consider this to be refused admission.

Given that IRCC only asks about the first flagpole where we did biometrics and stuff at the US border. That's probably the issue. I guess, for safety, always consider flagpole as refusal in your PR application.