+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is filing taxes strictly required in order to be eligible to sponsor?

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
And if yes, only for the last 12 months prior the application (OUTLAND if it matters)?

I need your info and advices!

Thanks so much

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
You have to provide your last notice of assessment, that means of the last 12 months prior to your application.
However, you should better file all years tyzt you didn't, regardless wether yiu paid or not; the fact of owing money does not affect your sponsorship application at all, you just have to show that you filed.

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
You have to provide your last notice of assessment, that means of the last 12 months prior to your application.
However, you should better file all years tyzt you didn't, regardless wether yiu paid or not; the fact of owing money does not affect your sponsorship application at all, you just have to show that you filed.
Thanks Helena R.
We really underestimated the importance of it (in order to apply). I just hope it does not delay the time much, since I am in Italy and my boyfriend in Canada and I do not want to spend too much time in which we are separated (we have recently completed a year of cohabitation) before we start the application. Hope it makes sense…

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
And if yes, only for the last 12 months prior the application (OUTLAND if it matters)?

I need your info and advices!

Thanks so much
It's not mandatory. If there was some legitimate reason that CRA taxes weren't filed (like sponsor was living in another country for extended period so was a non-resident), then you can include the tax return from whatever the last year filing in Canada was, a letter of explanation, and a tax return from the country he was resident in most recently.

If he should have filed a tax return but didn't for whatever reason, then he really should do it asap to satisfy CRA requirements, and can also include with your PR app.

Since there is no minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse, the tax return is not super important and they allow some exceptions.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Thanks Helena R.
We really underestimated the importance of it (in order to apply). I just hope it does not delay the time much, since I am in Italy and my boyfriend in Canada and I do not want to spend too much time in which we are separated (we have recently completed a year of cohabitation) before we start the application. Hope it makes sense…
It makes sense, he should do it quickly as sometimes the notice of assessment can take up to 3 weeks to arrive on the mail. However, even if he hasn't filed in years, you might be fine with just the last year, for this I would call CIC just yo be sure.