+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Employment Insurance same as Social Assistance

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
I have applied for my Spouse's Inland PR and currently awaiting the AOR. Unfortubately I broke my wrist yesterday and will be unable to goto work for about 1 month. My employer said that I may be eligible for Employment Insurance due to Injury.

I remember reading on the cic page that people on social assistance cannot become sponsors.

If i decide to apple for Employment Insurance for 1 month, does that mean i will be ineligible to sponsor?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have applied for my Spouse's Inland PR and currently awaiting the AOR. Unfortubately I broke my wrist yesterday and will be unable to goto work for about 1 month. My employer said that I may be eligible for Employment Insurance due to Injury.

I remember reading on the cic page that people on social assistance cannot become sponsors.

If i decide to apple for Employment Insurance for 1 month, does that mean i will be ineligible to sponsor?
It is exactly what it is called, insurance. It is not welfare.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

It’s not social assistance
Your employer issues you a ROE for the break in employment. Reason ; Medical
You go online apply, go to your Dr, get sick note with estimated date of return
Make copy of this note , go to a Service Canada office , turn in the original
Note , your employer must issue a ROE, which will indicate how many insurable hours you worked in the qualifying period leading up to leaving work for sickness
You must have the minimum hours, no minimum hours, no coverage
You want to go online and apply today, regardless whether your employer has issued a ROE yet or not . If it’s issued electronically, it’ll auto approve typically in the system . If it’s issued via paper, you’ll get a copy , photocopy , and give a copy to a Service Canada office to be forwarded to processing
If you delay in applying, it could affect your benefits
If you have sick time from your employer , or sick benefits , you are required to use those up first before the government benefits kick in
.....and you don’t require a lawyer

Last edited: