+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is ECA necessary for degrees from the USA?

cindyu

Mar 21, 2016
And, if you have multiple degrees, do you have to have all of them assessed or just the highest one?

Thank you.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
cindyu said:
And, if you have multiple degrees, do you have to have all of them assessed or just the highest one?

Thank you.
Usually just the highest one is enough - IF you are certain it will get same equivalence in Canada. Otherwise, assess everything from diploma/college/university studies

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
Yes it is. Just having your highest education credentials assessed should be fine.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
cindyu said:

Thank you.
WES does not charge by the number of degrees that you get assessed by them. So it would be advisable to send them all the degrees/diplomas that you have from Bachelors onwards (though the requirement is to get only your highest foreign degree assessed). For example, if you have a Bachelors plus Masters and WES assesses it as Masters, then you get more points and in the worst case, if they accept your Bachelors and treat your Masters as a diploma, you can still select 'two or more degree where one is at least 3 years or more'. This will give you more points when compared to just getting your Bachelors or diploma assessed individually.

KittYLoveCaD

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
Lived in SK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stanlee said:
WES does not charge by the number of degrees that you get assessed by them. So it would be advisable to send them all the degrees/diplomas that you have from Bachelors onwards (though the requirement is to get only your highest foreign degree assessed). For example, if you have a Bachelors plus Masters and WES assesses it as Masters, then you get more points and in the worst case, if they accept your Bachelors and treat your Masters as a diploma, you can still select 'two or more degree where one is at least 3 years or more'. This will give you more points when compared to just getting your Bachelors or diploma assessed individually.
Agreed. And even they were degrees gained from USA, it is advisable you should have them assessed by WES (or other CIC approved agencies) to determine the Canadian degree equivalency. There is no automatic recognition of this equivalency by CIC for those from the States.

kvrforum

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
KittYLoveCaD said:
Agreed. And even they were degrees gained from USA, it is advisable you should have them assessed by WES (or other CIC approved agencies) to determine the Canadian degree equivalency. There is no automatic recognition of this equivalency by CIC for those from the States.
This is something I can't understand. A lot of Canadian universities were influenced by American universities...

Canadian universities have similar admin rules, classes, majors, etc.
They developed together but they don't recognize USA education automatically when you try to move to Canada from USA.
I think USA degree and education should be an exception to that.... maybe UK and Australian universities have more difference...

USA and Canadian universities? I see USA universities have more wealth to build better facilities overall...
It's not night and day difference though.
Strictly, it's much harder to get into top 50 American universities than top 15 Canadian universities.

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
What do you NOT understand? All non-Canadian degrees have to be assessed for immigration purposes.

I hope it's not the mentality of 'Canada being the 51st state' at work here.

If your argument is that there are a lot of similarities between US and Canadian higher education, you might as well argue further that Americans ought to get automatic residence rights in Canada (and vice versa) – after all, these 2 countries are similar in all other aspects too (standard of living, culture, etc), right??

My highest degree was from the US and I had it assessed – no grudge at all.

I think it's right for Canada to put everyone on the same footing, including getting native English speakers to take IELTS as well, in the immigration process. Deal with it.

kvrforum said:
This is something I can't understand. A lot of Canadian universities were influenced by American universities...

They developed together but they don't recognize USA education automatically when you try to move to Canada from USA.
I think USA degree and education should be an exception to that.... maybe UK and Australian universities have more difference...

USA and Canadian universities? I see USA universities have more wealth to build better facilities overall...
Strictly, it's much harder to get into top 50 American universities than top 15 Canadian universities.

cindyu

Mar 21, 2016
kvrforum said:

I know, right?? I'm appalled at the fact that Canada doesn't recognize US degrees. But, I guess we're trying to get into their country, so they can do WHATEVER.... And also, I suspect this is just a way for the evaluation agencies to make money.

ybjianada, why are you so angry? Relax, man.. Geez

cindyu

Mar 21, 2016
ybjianada said:
What do you NOT understand? All non-Canadian degrees have to be assessed for immigration purposes.

I hope it's not the mentality of 'Canada being the 51st state' at work here.

If your argument is that there are a lot of similarities between US and Canadian higher education, you might as well argue further that Americans ought to get automatic residence rights in Canada (and vice versa) – after all, these 2 countries are similar in all other aspects too (standard of living, culture, etc), right??

My highest degree was from the US and I had it assessed – no grudge at all.

I think it's right for Canada to put everyone on the same footing, including getting native English speakers to take IELTS as well, in the immigration process. Deal with it.
Yes, sir, we are all dealing with it.
:)

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
kvrforum said:

Express Entry is a level playing field. Everyone will have to adhere by the requirements.