+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is ECA evaluation(WES etc) required for getting a job? (Current COPR holder)

NitinGupta123

Oct 3, 2018
Hello Everyone,
My wife and I have gotten our COPR and will be moving soon from India.
She didn't get her ECA evaluated as I was the primary applicant.

While applying for Jobs do the companies need the ECA evaluation? She is in the IT field.

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
I did all the ECA process, for each degree/diploma and also course to course analysis.
I do not think the added value of having ECA evaluated is zero but it has to be done for purpose otherwise it can suck your money, I do not think you need this right.
To my experience, it helps for immigration (mandatory in some cases to claim points), it can be needed (can even be mandatory) for academic/educational purposes (such as applying to university program) but outside of this scope, I do not see a real value. It may help a bit to highlight on your CV your degree and GPA equivalency in Canada if you do a course to course analysis but the burden of this can easily outweigh this benefit (costs, bureaucracy with former institution, etc.). Also, it can help to have this readily available if you plan/need to register to a professional board.
By the way, even for academics, there are instances where some institution here will just not look at your ECA results.

Personally, if you would ask me, job-wise if I would have done it again, I would say No. But that is just me.

NitinGupta123

Oct 3, 2018
I did all the ECA process, for each degree/diploma and also course to course analysis.
I do not think the added value of having ECA evaluated is zero but it has to be done for purpose otherwise it can suck your money, I do not think you need this right.
To my experience, it helps for immigration (mandatory in some cases to claim points), it can be needed (can even be mandatory) for academic/educational purposes (such as applying to university program) but outside of this scope, I do not see a real value. It may help a bit to highlight on your CV your degree and GPA equivalency in Canada if you do a course to course analysis but the burden of this can easily outweigh this benefit (costs, bureaucracy with former institution, etc.). Also, it can help to have this readily available if you plan/need to register to a professional board.
By the way, even for academics, there are instances where some institution here will just not look at your ECA results.

Personally, if you would ask me, job-wise if I would have done it again, I would say No. But that is just me.
Thank You for your reply.