+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is contract job counted under self-employed?

hansy

Nov 9, 2022
I am based in India and working as a full-time contractor for company outside of India. I believe, it is a self-employed job because the company doesn’t deduct any taxes but I don’t have any business ownership.
I work from my home office, however I can get a reference letter and monthly invoices that I send to my employer along with the bank statements.
Is it necessary to prove business ownership?
Did anyone got PR with such sit
Looking forward to your suggestions.

Many thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In the context of the Canadian immigration system, being self-employed typically refers to individuals who own and operate their own business. However, it can also include independent contractors or freelancers who provide services to clients or businesses without being their direct employees. In your case, it seems you fall under the latter category.

When applying for Canadian permanent residence, you would need to provide documentation that supports your self-employed status. This can include reference letters from your clients (including the company you are working with), invoices, bank statements, and any contracts or agreements you have with the company.

While it may not be necessary to prove business ownership in your case, you should still ensure that you provide sufficient documentation to demonstrate the nature of your work and relationship with the company you are working with.

Keep in mind that not all immigration programs are suitable for self-employed individuals. For example, the Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Canadian Experience Class under Express Entry are geared towards individuals with skilled work experience as employees. If you are considering applying for permanent residence as a self-employed individual, you may want to explore the Self-Employed Persons Program, which is specifically designed for those who have relevant experience in cultural activities, athletics, or farm management.
Self-employed individuals are eligible to apply under FSW / EE. This is a totally viable path.

Also, your info on who qualifies for the self-employment immigration program is five years out of date.

Hope you are not an immigration agent / consultant.

• Haha
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Karandi

Apr 25, 2023
Edmonton Alberta
Category........
Other
Self-employed individuals are eligible to apply under FSW / EE. This is a totally viable path.

Also, your info on who qualifies for the self-employment immigration program is five years out of date.

Hope you are not an immigration agent / consultant.
Thanks for correcting. My apologies

hiato

Star Member
Sep 15, 2016
I am based in India and working as a full-time contractor for company outside of India. I believe, it is a self-employed job because the company doesn’t deduct any taxes but I don’t have any business ownership.
I work from my home office, however I can get a reference letter and monthly invoices that I send to my employer along with the bank statements.

Many thanks!
Do you mind sharing your progress so far? I'm too self employed outside Canada and want to know how to provide a solid proof of experience.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Do you mind sharing your progress so far? I'm too self employed outside Canada and want to know how to provide a solid proof of experience.
I'm technically self employed and my employer is in Canada. I wrote Sole Proprietor at {my entity} and listed what I did. Attached my invoices, contracts, etc to prove my experience.

Reactions: hiato

hiato

Star Member
Sep 15, 2016
I'm technically self employed and my employer is in Canada. I wrote Sole Proprietor at {my entity} and listed what I did. Attached my invoices, contracts, etc to prove my experience.
Cool, thanks! I'm wondering how many invoices should I share to cover a period of 4 years.. all of them of simply the first one and the most recent one and some in between? Same for bank statements..

abidm6

Star Member
Dec 19, 2015

Many thanks!
HI I am in the same situation, what you wrote in EE form Under Employer name? and country and city?