+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is coaching necessary for high scores in IELTS

Ichowdhury

Jul 8, 2015
Hello seniors,
My IELTS is scheduled on Nov 21, 2015. So I have a fair amount of time in hand.
I am aiming at securing the max points. So should I enroll myself into any coaching centre or practising at home is enough to secure atleast band 8 or so.
Also, please suggest some books and online resources for the same.
TIA

chiron

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
09-02-2016
Med's Done....
11-02-2016
Passport Req..
07-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2016
LANDED..........
03-08-2016
For reading and listening, I feel that concentration is key. If you have a habit of reading a lot of books/skimming through english newspapers then it would help more than anything. Similarly, listening to podcasts/radio talk shows etc might help with listening. The topics themselves are generally boring so too much of cramming/practicing might even negatively affect your scores. The best thing would be to go into the tests with confidence and an alert mind.
For writing, I think it is useful to practice a few essays beforehand. The timing is imo very tight to come up with a well composed essay without trying out a draft will require practice. Attempt the second part first during the test and make sure to not exceed the word limit by much. With speaking, some sort of coaching would be helpful... even if it is not IELTS training per se, some sort of spoken English course would be useful.

nehamaan

Jun 4, 2015
hey,

I gave my IELTS on the 1st of August and got 8.5 bands overall. If your basic grammar is good, I wud sggest you to not join any coaching classes as they are just a waste of time and money.
Instead, there are many great youtube tutorials available which will help you in all the 4 modules of the exam. Also, i would suggest you to just select random topics and talk about it for 2 mins. This is really helpful for your speaking module. Also,i had purchased a study ielts book series from IMS for just Rs 1200. I would recommend it as it has 5 Tests and explanatory books on each modules.

best of luck

Ichowdhury

Jul 8, 2015
nehamaan said:
hey,

I gave my IELTS on the 1st of August and got 8.5 bands overall. If your basic grammar is good, I wud sggest you to not join any coaching classes as they are just a waste of time and money.
Instead, there are many great youtube tutorials available which will help you in all the 4 modules of the exam. Also, i would suggest you to just select random topics and talk about it for 2 mins. This is really helpful for your speaking module. Also,i had purchased a study ielts book series from IMS for just Rs 1200. I would recommend it as it has 5 Tests and explanatory books on each modules.

best of luck

Thanks a ton for your reply. Could you specifya couple of youtube tutorials to begin with. I am already watching "English with Emma" these days. Anything else that I need to follow?
And by the way, did you give your test through IDP or BC?

nickarter84

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
LANDED..........
10-08-2016
Download plenty of Mock tests (Cambridge Material) from torrents

and also there is a Book called "ACE the IELTS"

it has everything

nickarter84

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
LANDED..........
10-08-2016
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ielts-writing-feedback-t365265.0.html

this guy is voluntarily helping people in writing so take some advantage