+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canadian job experience mandatory for IT - Project management jobs ?

NishanthK2012

Dec 15, 2012
Hi,

Can anyone let me know on this please ? Is it very difficult to get jobs as an IT Project manager without Canadian experience ?

Thanks!

Nishanth

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no written rule however in order for you to be a project manager you have to co-ordinate with different people. It requires you to understand Canadian work culture and work ethics therefore it helps to have the Canadian experience.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Certainly not mandatory. Just much easier.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have a solid PM experience and good communication skills, Canadian experience should not be a problem. Back your skills with PMP that will help

busybee

Jan 22, 2013
@Hi Ankit,
I am a new person to this forum. I am an Embedded software Engineer having around 10 years of experience in my field.
Any idea about Job market for Embedded software Engineers in canada.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jobs take time as in any county but if you have good communication skills and English skill along with technical skills like embedded software you will find a job. If you are in Canada send me a PM if not contact me once you are here

desirecanada

Star Member
Nov 29, 2010
Hi Ankit,
I am a new person to this forum. I am a software Engineer having around 7 years of experience in Peoplesoft ERP.
Any idea about Job market for guys like me in canada.I have worked in canadafrom 2008-2010.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It should not be very difficult. Send me your resume and I will connect you to resourcing team in my org. I see a general challenge though that lot of development/QA jobs that need little to no client intercations are getting shipped to India. Roles like Architect, BA, PM, Integrators are more client centric and are hard to outsourced.

Hello 123

Aug 14, 2013
Hi Ankit,

I am landing with my family next summer. Plan to live in Gatineau (Quebec CSQ) and work in Ottawa. My son has recently done BCA from a reputed Bangalore College. He has self studied Ruby on Rails programming. He is very good and has a 'A' in all his computer subjects. He will be a fresher without experience.

Will appreciate your comments about his job prospects, salary in Ottawa as well as your suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
I see this old thread coming alive in recent past. well, I am also a PM in IT domain and am here in Canada for last 4 months.
Canadian exp is cetainly not mandatory for any job. However, I have been asked this question in interviews many times and been rejected due to this reason.

I have seen that its very tough to get into PM role directly for new immigrants.

I am from India, and I have seen that the PM activities that we do in India are far less complex and complicated than the PM does it here.
In canada, it involves all around budget, resources and planning. While in India, I have seen majority of PMs does not have control over many of these aspects.

So that might be one reason why its tough to get into PM role directly. Its always better to get into a smaller role and then move for a PM.

@Ankit, I have tried to contact you a few times, but coul dnot get in touch with you.
Can you please share your contact nmber in my PM so that I can talk with you...

Regards,
Sharat Joshi

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
It depends. PM roles involving "Canada only" things like local policies/laws, etc. it will be difficult and obviously inappropriate.

"Enclosed" PM roles like PM'ing for a software development project, managing programmers, that's no different anywhere in the world, I don't see anything preventing you from being hired if you're qualified.

Archie007

Jun 15, 2017
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and also to Canada. I am an IT project manager with over 12years, experience, I also have my PMP and ITIL, working towards getting my agile certification. Are there opportunities I can lock into.

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and also to Canada. I am an IT project manager with over 12years, experience, I also have my PMP and ITIL, working towards getting my agile certification. Are there opportunities I can lock into.

Thanks
Check out indeed or monster sites or Linkedin However if you are not already in Canada almost impossible to secure a job from outside

Reactions: Archie007

Archie007

Jun 15, 2017
Check out indeed or monster sites or Linkedin However if you are not already in Canada almost impossible to secure a job from outside
Thanks Bs65
I landed Canada with my PR in Sep and I quickly travelled out in Oct. to complete some of my outstanding project I had before going to land in Canada, I should be rounding off the projects by the end of this month and am hoping to continue my Project management career when I get to Canada.