+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canadian credit history checked as part of background check?

nutz45

Mar 4, 2016
Hi all, I lived in Canada for an years during this time I had a credit card (I cannot find any record of the damned thing right now). So when I was leaving Canada I called the credit card company telling them I am leaving Canada, and they said I had to do something (can't remember what), which seemed like too much hassle. So left Canada with this card, and made the last bill payment. We are all even I guess. This was 10 years ago.

Now, I remember this vaguely, but I might have made another payment from the card after coming back home. I did not have any other credit card and it was the only possible way of making a payment. I intended to make a payment, but this is all so vague, I don't know why I did not. I most likely thought its only 3 Dollars - who cares.

So as of now my old passport has expired, but you can link my passport with that credit card - I think. If someone ran a background check they will see that I did not pay a few dollars and the interest and fines for non-payment. I don't know what that amount will be.

tl,dr: I might have defaulted on 3 dollars on my Canadian credit card dues 10 years ago.

Here is my question - am I screwed? Can I do something about it if I intend to come to Canada though express entry.

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
Your credit history has got nothing to do with Immigration. Just take it easy..

nutz45

Mar 4, 2016
nmeka said:
Your credit history has got nothing to do with Immigration. Just take it easy..
Hey thanks for your reply. I am worried because I read through this forum and realised that background check is conducted and they need details of everywhere you lived and also ask for police certificate, so I guessed that credit history is probably also checked. Maybe my passport is on some defaulters list.

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
The reason they ask you to mention all the places you lived is just to check your security and criminality..so dont worry at all about your credit history.
Good luck

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
unless you are in the realm of bankruptcy they are not gonna care about it at all.

nutz45

Mar 4, 2016
Thanks a lot for your replies guys. I am feeling a lot better knowing this.

Now police clearance certificate is required only from my current location or from any place I have lived? Will I need one from Canada.

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
nutz45 said:

Now police clearance certificate is required only from my current location or from any place I have lived? Will I need one from Canada.
If you need an RCMP check, CIC will request one from you.

raj2017

May 22, 2017
Hi all, I lived in Canada for an years during this time I had a credit card (I cannot find any record of the damned thing right now). So when I was leaving Canada I called the credit card company telling them I am leaving Canada, and they said I had to do something (can't remember what), which seemed like too much hassle. So left Canada with this card, and made the last bill payment. We are all even I guess. This was 10 years ago.

Now, I remember this vaguely, but I might have made another payment from the card after coming back home. I did not have any other credit card and it was the only possible way of making a payment. I intended to make a payment, but this is all so vague, I don't know why I did not. I most likely thought its only 3 Dollars - who cares.

So as of now my old passport has expired, but you can link my passport with that credit card - I think. If someone ran a background check they will see that I did not pay a few dollars and the interest and fines for non-payment. I don't know what that amount will be.

tl,dr: I might have defaulted on 3 dollars on my Canadian credit card dues 10 years ago.

Here is my question - am I screwed? Can I do something about it if I intend to come to Canada though express entry.
i am in the same situation however my amount is somewhat bigger i have spent 3000$ and that is 7 years back and now i am also trying for EE and worried about will this 3000 cost me a lot or i am fine? do they consider credit card history and non-payment in background check?

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

You need PCC from any country where you lived at least 6 months.

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i am in the same situation however my amount is somewhat bigger i have spent 3000$ and that is 7 years back and now i am also trying for EE and worried about will this 3000 cost me a lot or i am fine? do they consider credit card history and non-payment in background check?
IRCC does not conduct credit checks. What would be the point?

kirushna

Oct 5, 2018
Bangalore
Hello People,

I live in India and my PR Application is now at Background checks stage. What am newly concerned is that I had a Credit Card which I have got 2 years back and i haven't used it since a year now, for which they have charged me around 2k and I ignored paying it, now after a month, the card is blocked and am expected to pay double charges. Will this become a problem in IRCC background checks? I don't want that card anymore but if it is going to be troublesome I would pay it back.

Would be so grateful if someone could guide me on this.

Thanks,
Kirushna

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hello People,

I live in India and my PR Application is now at Background checks stage. What am newly concerned is that I had a Credit Card which I have got 2 years back and i haven't used it since a year now, for which they have charged me around 2k and I ignored paying it, now after a month, the card is blocked and am expected to pay double charges. Will this become a problem in IRCC background checks? I don't want that card anymore but if it is going to be troublesome I would pay it back.

Would be so grateful if someone could guide me on this.

Thanks,
Kirushna
No. They do not conduct credit checks.