+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canada Child Benefit, Welfare ?

Nov 16, 2015
Hello,

I'm in the process of moving to Canada with my family of 3 young children. I'm a little confused about the Canada Child Benefit, is it welfare ?

I'm asking because I chose Canada over every other country as I liked the people and the country's culture. I'm not immigrating to be a burden to my new country in form of claiming welfare payments. I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable about it could educate me if Canada Child Benefit is welfare or is it more of a grant/facility for Canadians and Permanent residents with young kids.

Another question is that since I am new in Canada and plan to start a business in a year or two after finding something appropriate, what income should I declare meanwhile as household income in case I do apply for Child Benefit ? I nor my wife will have any income till I start my business but we do have sufficient funds from sale of our properties in our home country to tide us over for three or four years if needed.

Does my generous bank balance have any effect on the Child Tax Benefit ?

Thanks in Advance.

Reactions: qureishi

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
CCB is a support from the govt to help raise our children, it is based on previous year's income so if you are a newcomer, your household income from your country of origin converted to CAD. CCB is not taxable.

Reactions: qureishi