+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is B.C recovery Benefit considered social assistance?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unless it is rarely considered social assistance. If you have been receiving covid related benefits long term and not working that could impact your spousal sponsorship. You are required to show you can support your family without government help so .a job would obviously look much better than various covid benefits. If you have not worked in a long time there could be concerns about your ability to support your family

weirdduck

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Unless it is rarely considered social assistance. If you have been receiving covid related benefits long term and not working that could impact your spousal sponsorship. You are required to show you can support your family without government help so .a job would obviously look much better than various covid benefits. If you have not worked in a long time there could be concerns about your ability to support your family
Are you saying B.C recovery Benefit is considered social assistance?

I don't get what you meant exactly when you said " unless it is rarely considered social assistance".

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
While I thank for your response, I really would appreciate if you could tell me the source of your information.
I am the source of the information. It isn't social assistance. It isn't means-tested. Families making up to $125,000 per year can get some of it, with people making up to $62,500 getting a full benefit. It isn't social assistance.

It's not administered by the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Elimination, it's administered by the Ministry of Finance. You don't need to be unemployed to get it. It's not social assistance.

Last edited:

weirdduck

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
I am the source of the information. It isn't social assistance. It isn't means-tested. Families making up to $125,000 per year can get some of it, with people making up to $62,500 getting a full benefit. It isn't social assistance.

It's not administered by the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Elimination, it's administered by the Ministry of Finance. You don't need to be unemployed to get it. It's not social assistance.
What isn’t considered social assistance ( from CIC)

Social assistance doesn’t include:

• Employment Insurance
  • provincial student loans
  • immigration loans
  • subsidized housing
  • tax credits
  • child care subsidies
  • public health care (services your province or territory gives to all people who live there)
  • other benefits widely available to residents, including people who are working

I think "other benefits widely available to residents, including people who are working" part explains what you said maybe.

Thank you for your response.

Last edited:
Reactions: annie11

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you saying B.C recovery Benefit is considered social assistance?

I don't get what you meant exactly when you said " unless it is rarely considered social assistance".
Sorry meant to say unless welfare any payment is unlikely to be considered social assistance.

weirdduck

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019

I called BC services, and the agent said the same thing. So I'm confident its not a social assistance. Thanks!