+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is an interview always the case?

Rana80

Jun 7, 2010
Hello,
I heard that it is always the case that an interview is required when the sponsor or the applicant were previously married. Is this true? Anybody heard of cases where this did not apply? My husband's sponsorship just got approved last week and our file was transferred to our local consulate in Damascus. Now I'm anxious that the reviewing officer will ask for an interview due to my previous marriage (my husband/sponsor was never married before). I was with my ex-husband for almost 3 years, we had a 2 year separation and I provided all the required divorce documents along with my file.

Any input would be appreciated!

Rana

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Both my sponsor/husband and myself were previously married and we were not required to attend an interview. The interview is usually required to verify that the relationship is "genuine" - meaning that the applicant is not just using the relationship to get into Canada. Now, it's possible that - because you were previously married but your sponsor never was - and you're the one who is immigrating, they will want to verify that you're really in the relationship for love. This is especially true if you're processing through an embassy that represents a country where divorce is not generally accepted, or where it's not the cultural "norm". A lot depends on how long you've known one another and how much evidence you can provide to demonstrate the development and continuing nature of your relationship. If they do require an interview, don't panic. Just remember that they have to verify this stuff and as long as you are "legit", that will come through in the interview.

Godskid

May 31, 2010
Washington state
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2010
Med's Done....
10-01-2010
I was previously married and so was my husband and I recieved a letter from immigration saying there is no need for an interview. So no, it's not required. We did send in a bunch of phone records, etc. and wedding pictures to prove our relationship. :D

Rana80

Jun 7, 2010
Thanks everyone for the comforting replies. I must say that it definitely is out of the norm in my culture for this sort of marriage to happen. However, I sent in over two years of daily phone calls, 75 photos and plenty of documents to prove our relationship (wedding ceremony and reception, engagement, gifts, trips, dinners, movies, flight stubs, etc). We actually knew each other for the past 13 years and I'm really praying the immigration officer will focus on these details rather than my previous marriage. I forgot to mention that I have already been in Canada on a work permit for over two years.

Looking forward for more previously married "interview-less" cases :)

odethe

Jul 8, 2010
Turkey
Category........
Visa Office......
Turkey - Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
06-03-2010
well, I was previously married and my husband wasnt. But my divorce was in 2005 and I met my canadian husband in 2009. So, I am expecting an interview request from my visa office but not about my ex husband or relationship. As long as there is a long time between 2 marriages, I dont think it will be the case and you say you sent them all the divorce papers. If they ask for an interview I think it will more about your current marriage and its development.

Punjabi Munda

Jul 6, 2010
Rana80 said:
Hello,
I heard that it is always the case that an interview is required when the sponsor or the applicant were previously married. Is this true? Anybody heard of cases where this did not apply? My husband's sponsorship just got approved last week and our file was transferred to our local consulate in Damascus. Now I'm anxious that the reviewing officer will ask for an interview due to my previous marriage (my husband/sponsor was never married before). I was with my ex-husband for almost 3 years, we had a 2 year separation and I provided all the required divorce documents along with my file.

Any input would be appreciated!

Rana
Dear Rana, no its not necessary that you are invited by the embassy for interview. If your case and your file work is strong and you have enough proofs of your marriage then 95% chances is that you received visa without interview. Two of my friends had same situation and got there visa without interview. Here is one of my friends timeline: -
15 June 2009 - Application Submitted
17 July 2009 - Sponsorship approved
07 Aug 2009 - Started Process of file at CIC New Delhi Office
18 Aug 2009 - PP Request
21 Aug 2009 - PP sent to CIC New Delhi Office
28 Sep 2009 - Received Passport with visa.

Hopefuly its help you alot & pls be faith in god. "God is great"
Punjabi Munda

lynw

Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-07-2010
Med's Done....
17-05-2010
Passport Req..
25-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-09-2010
LANDED..........
23-09-2010
Previously married here too - and to be honest I don't mind at all about an interview - we would just have to have a nice holiday in Sydney, and if CIC met us in person they would have no doubts at all, it's glaringly obvious to everyone apparently :D

The only downside is that I guess an interview slows things up, and it would be so good to move forward and have this all done.