+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a step child a family member in the pathway for healthworkers application

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
I have a friend who has a stepchild but the father of the child is dead before the step mother and the step child arrived canada. The step mum declared the child as her step daughter when they arrived.
Can the stepchild be included in the application as a family member?

The program says: As with all applicants for humanitarian and compassionate consideration, and in line with the government’s commitment to family reunification, in-Canada family members of the principal applicant would be included in the application and granted permanent residency, if the application is approved.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a friend who has a stepchild but the father of the child is dead before the step mother and the step child arrived canada. The step mum declared the child as her step daughter when they arrived.
Can the stepchild be included in the application as a family member?

The program says: As with all applicants for humanitarian and compassionate consideration, and in line with the government’s commitment to family reunification, in-Canada family members of the principal applicant would be included in the application and granted permanent residency, if the application is approved.
I would recommend that you work with a lawyer to clarify this question and determine if there is additional paperwork that needs to be submitted to make this possible.. Generally speaking, a step-child isn't classified as a family member of the step-parent without formal adoption since they aren't related to the step-parent by blood. Again, best option is to work with a lawyer on this since this doesn't seem straight forward to me.

Reactions: Buletruck