+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC's post-apply letter extends my current WP for 3 weeks and seemingly cancels a possible "implied status"

Evgeni

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Richmond
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
11-05-2018
Doc's Request.
03-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2018
Med's Request
03-05-2019
Med's Done....
22-05-2019
Hi,

When I applied for an WP extension 3 months ago, I got a letter from IRCC:

Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof
that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions
(ie: employer and occupation) until December 27, 2021 or until a
decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This
extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada
before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be
authorized to continue working.
Does this mean I am not authorized to work after December 27, 2021? If it does mean that, what about the law:
(5) Subject to subsection (5.1), if a temporary resident has applied for an extension of the period authorized for their stay and a decision is not made on the application by the end of the period authorized for their stay, the period is extended until
  • (a) the day on which a decision is made, if the application is refused; or
  • (b) the end of the new period authorized for their stay, if the application is allowed.
The law says I can work till the decision whenever it happens. No deadlines.

Context: I am a May 2018 PR applicant (BCPNP). Background check stage. Currently working under BOWP.

Last edited:

Evgeni

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Richmond
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
11-05-2018
Doc's Request.
03-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2018
Med's Request
03-05-2019
Med's Done....
22-05-2019
Ok, I can work after that day. There is an explanation.
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter, you can still keep working until we make a decision.
If your employer or others need proof that you can continue to work
  • you can show them this web page, or
  • if your employer is not satisfied with the information on this page, you can contact us

malobaidi

Nov 18, 2021
Hi Evgeni,

Here is a question, although it is a bit unrelated; can I travel outside Canada while my OWP is processing. I have a valid PGWP which does not expire before my return date (I am traveling for few weeks only). While the answer may seem like a no-brainer (i.e. yes I can travel while my current PGWP is valid), I received a letter exactly similar to your first post:

Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof
that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions
(ie: employer and occupation) until March 22, 2022 or until a
decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This
extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada
before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be
authorized to continue working.
The letter says that if I leave Canada, my status will be revoked....

can you help in figuring this out, please. Thanks!

Last edited:

Evgeni

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Richmond
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
11-05-2018
Doc's Request.
03-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2018
Med's Request
03-05-2019
Med's Done....
22-05-2019
Hi Malobaidi,

It is very related! I don't have an answer for you. I am also confused. IRCC makes things worse by sending these letters. What is considered as "leaving Canada"? Is travelling leaving?

The least you can do is to call IRCC or submit a request asking to provide comments on that.

Please, if you find the answer, post it here, because I also want to know it.

malobaidi

Nov 18, 2021
Hi Evgeni,

Thanks for the info!

I tried reaching out to them, but I was unable to get through to a representative. If I get a response I'll definitely let you know. I'll try their webform.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

malobaidi

Nov 18, 2021
Okay so I finally got through to an IRCC agent. The agent said that if my current PGWP validity is longer than what is specified in the letter, then the PGWP is valid and overrides the date which is specified in the letter. Also, I can travel as long as my current PGWP is not expired, but I have to be back before PGWP and TRV the expiration date. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Evgeni

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Okay so I finally got through to an IRCC agent. The agent said that if my current PGWP validity is longer than what is specified in the letter, then the PGWP is valid and overrides the date which is specified in the letter. Also, I can travel as long as my current PGWP is not expired, but I have to be back before PGWP and TRV the expiration date. Hope this helps!
How were you able to get through to an agent? I've been trying for weeks, from Canada and also calling a Visa office in the US. You seem to have pulled off a major feat.

malobaidi

Nov 18, 2021
How were you able to get through to an agent? I've been trying for weeks, from Canada and also calling a Visa office in the US. You seem to have pulled off a major feat.
Hi there!

Yeah, it took me many trials (and long waits each time) to finally speak to an agent. I think IRCC is very busy after the pandemic....

I hope your next call gets through! I think providing your UCI helps!

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Hi there!

Yeah, it took me many trials (and long waits each time) to finally speak to an agent. I think IRCC is very busy after the pandemic....

I hope your next call gets through! I think providing your UCI helps!
Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. 2 week daily for me have just been the recordings about not taking any calls unless about Afghanistan, and getting hung up. Were you just persistent with where the recording routed you?

malobaidi

Nov 18, 2021
Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. 2 week daily for me have just been the recordings about not taking any calls unless about Afghanistan, and getting hung up. Were you just persistent with where the recording routed you?
Yes definitely! Wait for the voice messages to end, then you'll get several options. Other voice messages may also play, but you get several options at the end if you reach the right channel. The last option, among those, will ask you to hit zero to get to an agent. Then You will have to wait in a queue for your turn to speak to an agent.

Best of luck!