+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC letter received after submitting post graduation work permit application (WP-EXT for PGWP)

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Hi all,

Apparently, I unintentionally worked without authorization from the date I received my credential completion letter (Feb 2) (the day I completed my study) till the day I gathered from my university's international student office that I should stop working (March 26) and apply for my PGWP (April 6). I didn't realize I had to apply for my PGWP latest the day I received my credential completion letter.

After submitting my PGWP, I received the letter below from IRCC/CIC (named WP-EXT for PGWP):

"This confirms that your application has been received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on __________________(yyyy/mm/dd). Please attach this letter to your present Study permit Number as proof that you are authorized to work for any employer, in any occupation with no restriction on hours until or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(w) of the Immgration and Refugees Protectioni Regulatioins."

My university's international office had told me I need to stop working until I get a decision from IRCC but with the above letter, I felt I could now work. I told my uni about the letter and they said based on the below, they felt I am not eligible to work since I worked without authorization from Feb 2 till March 26.

R186viii: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html
"although they are permitted to engage in full-time work during a regularly scheduled break between academic sessions, they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session"

Does any one (immigration experts, etc, in the house) has any idea if I am affected by the claim above? I felt it does not specifically say 'working after receiving the credential completion letter (which is taken to mean study completion) ... - which I did,' but otherwise said "they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session." I didn't work more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session, so I was thinking I am no affected in any way. Please I'd like some thoughts and further explanation.

Stopping my work will ultimately affect my family, but at the same time I don't want to face the wrath of IRCC/CIC. Has anyone been in this same boat before?

Thanks as always.

Jatt Saab

Star Member
Mar 31, 2021
You are not allowed to work after you receive your Letter of Graduation and until you apply for your PGWP.Since you already applied for PGWP and also got a letter from IRCC to work full time ( same conditions as of PGWP) you are free to work till you get a decision on your application.Its very Rare that they refuse a file based on illegal work before you apply for PGWP

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Thanks a lot @ Jatt Saab. Yes, people have told me on this forum that it's not common to refuse pgwp due to illegal work. So that's helpful.

My other questions is regarding working now..... I don't know why my uni representative is saying I cannot work until I get a decision regarding my pgwp application, despite getting the IRCC letter (above). The rep claim I have violated the law that states that "they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session." My only work was after my course - I didn't work nore than 29 hours per week during a regular academic session.

Jatt Saab

Star Member
Mar 31, 2021
Thanks a lot @ Jatt Saab. Yes, people have told me on this forum that it's not common to refuse pgwp due to illegal work. So that's helpful.

My other questions is regarding working now..... I don't know why my uni representative is saying I cannot work until I get a decision regarding my pgwp application, despite getting the IRCC letter (above). The rep claim I have violated the law that states that "they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session." My only work was after my course - I didn't work nore than 29 hours per week during a regular academic session.
Look, Uni representattive is not an immigration lawyer neither me, but you already got a letter from IRCC to continue full time.You donot need anyone else opinion on this other then IRCC or An Immigration consultant.But your best shot from me is to continue working full time as per the letter received to you by IRCC( the only governing unit on your work permit)

OPS

Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

Apparently, I unintentionally worked without authorization from the date I received my credential completion letter (Feb 2) (the day I completed my study) till the day I gathered from my university's international student office that I should stop working (March 26) and apply for my PGWP (April 6). I didn't realize I had to apply for my PGWP latest the day I received my credential completion letter.

After submitting my PGWP, I received the letter below from IRCC/CIC (named WP-EXT for PGWP):

"This confirms that your application has been received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on __________________(yyyy/mm/dd). Please attach this letter to your present Study permit Number as proof that you are authorized to work for any employer, in any occupation with no restriction on hours until or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(w) of the Immgration and Refugees Protectioni Regulatioins."

My university's international office had told me I need to stop working until I get a decision from IRCC but with the above letter, I felt I could now work. I told my uni about the letter and they said based on the below, they felt I am not eligible to work since I worked without authorization from Feb 2 till March 26.

R186viii: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html
"although they are permitted to engage in full-time work during a regularly scheduled break between academic sessions, they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session"

Does any one (immigration experts, etc, in the house) has any idea if I am affected by the claim above? I felt it does not specifically say 'working after receiving the credential completion letter (which is taken to mean study completion) ... - which I did,' but otherwise said "they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session." I didn't work more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session, so I was thinking I am no affected in any way. Please I'd like some thoughts and further explanation.

Stopping my work will ultimately affect my family, but at the same time I don't want to face the wrath of IRCC/CIC. Has anyone been in this same boat before?

Thanks as always.
I feel your school is complicating and blowing this thing out of proportion. I’ve never seen anyone being refused because of an authorized work. The eligibility for pgwp has nothing to do with unauthorized or what not. Please don’t stress yourself about this. Good luck

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Yeah, my uni rep actually said that people are approved despite the unauthorized work. My worry here is that the person said I can't work until a decision is made on my pgwp (despite the IRCC letter). The phrase ""they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session " seems unrelated to me since my own violation is working after graduation, not during academic session?

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Hi Jaat and OPS and others,
I want to thank you for your very helpful responses I got to all my questions the other time. As you opined, my PGWP was approved. Thanks so so much for assurances. You wouldn't understand how helpful there were!!!! Very much appreciated.

Reactions: captainarabiia

ecko199x

Apr 15, 2020
Yeah, my uni rep actually said that people are approved despite the unauthorized work. My worry here is that the person said I can't work until a decision is made on my pgwp (despite the IRCC letter). The phrase ""they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session " seems unrelated to me since my own violation is working after graduation, not during academic session?
Did you write any explanation letter for your pgwp?

Danish Dev

May 9, 2021
Hi there,
I have applied for PGWP. I have revived the submission confirmation letter but still have not received the letter that says” I am allowed to work full time and I shall attach this letter with my study permit as a authorization to work? According to my situation, do I need that letter to work or the submission confirmation is enough ? Can I work full time. Please let me know. Thank you.

Sep 13, 2022
Hi there,
I have applied for PGWP. I have revived the submission confirmation letter but still have not received the letter that says” I am allowed to work full time and I shall attach this letter with my study permit as a authorization to work? According to my situation, do I need that letter to work or the submission confirmation is enough ? Can I work full time. Please let me know. Thank you.
Did you end up receiving the second letter? I am having the same issue. Thanks.

Reactions: Aigletun