+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC is considering a separate pathway for international graduates, but why not just resume CEC?

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
At the end of
https://www.cicnews.com/2022/01/future-canadian-immigrants-fear-having-to-leave-jobs-as-ircc-deals-with-backlog-0121437.html#gs.o5esmb
it says that there could be "a separate pathway for international graduates with Canadian work experience", or "tangible solutions outside of Express Entry for PGWP holders".

That is good news, but why don't they just resume CEC?

IMO, there are two problems with the new pathway:
1. If they issue PR to all international students with work experience, like what they did in TR2PR last year, they would end up inviting ppl with low CRS, like around 360.
Last year CEC draws had this score, and some provinces didn't like it, because they did't want ppl with scores this low. But now IRCC may do it again.

2. Because of the low score, the number of invitations would be big, meaning a larger addition to the backlog. And to resolve the backlog, CEC will have to stop for a longer period of time.

The final result is that ppl with high CRS will have to make way for those with low CRS, the exactly same mistake they made last year which led to the current situation.

So why don't they just resume CEC?

There are only 20k CEC applicants in the pool and may be 8K (just my guess) of those have scores above 430 or 450.

This way only highly qualified ppl will be invited, which is fairer, and the backlog won't grow much.

Thoughts?

Reactions: chiar0n

chiar0n

Jul 8, 2019
I entirely agree with you. If IRCC want to avoid an “employee shortage” caused by all of those with an expiring PGWP leaving Canada all at the same
time, then mind as well holding CEC again BUT with an higher cut off. Higher cut off will mean probably 1000s applications each draw (just like the last PNP by the way). Also many CEC with lower score can qualify for PNP while
people with score higher than 460 won’t get invited for PnP, at least in Ontario. (correct me if the last statement is wrong, last time i checked PNP for ontario people receiving the expression of interest had a score below 4606