+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inviting parents on a visitor visa with COPR (yet to land)

triptilive

Star Member
Aug 10, 2021
Hey all,

I'm a COPR holder, planning to land in a month or two. I am applying for visitor visas for my parents to accompany me at the same time. But there is a mandatory requirement of an invitation letter in the visitor visa online application. As I am yet to land, I can't write the invitation letter which asks for an address in Canada. We don't have any family or friends in Canada who can issue one. Is there any workaround to bypass this invitation letter? Please advice. Thanks in advance.
@scylla @Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey all,

I'm a COPR holder, planning to land in a month or two. I am applying for visitor visas for my parents to accompany me at the same time. But there is a mandatory requirement of an invitation letter in the visitor visa online application. As I am yet to land, I can't write the invitation letter which asks for an address in Canada. We don't have any family or friends in Canada who can issue one. Is there any workaround to bypass this invitation letter? Please advice. Thanks in advance.
@scylla @Naturgrl
Invitation letter is not mandatory. They are travelling for tourism purposes. They are not accompanying you. Not sure what portal you are in to apply but it will ask you reasons for travel and they say for tourism.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html

Select None of the Above, and go from there.

triptilive

Star Member
Aug 10, 2021
Invitation letter is not mandatory. They are travelling for tourism purposes. They are not accompanying you. Not sure what portal you are in to apply but it will ask you reasons for travel and they say for tourism.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html

Select None of the Above, and go from there.
Thank you for the reply. I selected the same and it directed me to the GCkey portal (The same one where we apply for PR)

I created an account for each of them and started an application for visitor visa - selected 'Other' in reasons for visit and said 'Yes' to the question which asks 'If they are accompanying anybody who got recent approved status in Canada".

Finally invitation letter is listed in the 'required' documents list and not in the optional column. Hence I am unable to submit the application without one. Do you think this is because I didn't select 'No' to the accompanying someone question? If I select No, wouldn't that be misrepresentation. Unable to understand how to go ahead.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the reply. I selected the same and it directed me to the GCkey portal (The same one where we apply for PR)

I created an account for each of them and started an application for visitor visa - selected 'Other' in reasons for visit and said 'Yes' to the question which asks 'If they are accompanying anybody who got recent approved status in Canada".

Finally invitation letter is listed in the 'required' documents list and not in the optional column. Hence I am unable to submit the application without one. Do you think this is because I didn't select 'No' to the accompanying someone question? If I select No, wouldn't that be misrepresentation. Unable to understand how to go ahead.
They are not accompanying anyone. You are not PR or citizen. They answer NO.

Reactions: triptilive