+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inviting fiancee to visit during my masters degree - likelihood of success?

lxybean

Apr 23, 2015
Hello, I need some advice for my situation. I have read all the online resources but I'm still a little unsure. Thanks for any replies in advance! =)

I'm a Canadian citizen and my fiancee is from China. We met in China and we have been in a long distance relationship for one year (with lots of evidence to prove it of course)
I will be doing an intensive 2-year masters degree in Canada, during which I may not have a chance to go back and visit her, so we are considering getting her a TRV to visit me for a month or so
She has a stable sales job and bought a small apartment with mortgage. I can pay for all her travel expenses.

My question is that, is it likely for her to get a TRV?
We do plan to get married and sponsor her outland and live in Canada after I finish my study in October 2017, but the purpose of the current visit is purely to spend some time together, and she will return to China

Anyone has been in a similar situation before? Or has any tips to maximize our chance of getting the TRV? Thanks so much!

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Write a letter, be honest about your relationship and plans of marriage, include clear future plans and timeline.

boopityboo

Feb 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 11, 2015
AOR Received.
April 18, 2015
File Transfer...
May 18, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront 08/30/2014
Med's Done....
Re-medical 02/16/2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 30, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 11, 2016
Hi, Ixybean.

I feel confident enough to answer your question since I was on the same boat. My then fiancé (now husband) is a permanent resident. I am from the Philippines. Actually, we both are. We got engaged a couple of days before he permanently moved here, and we were in a long distance relationship for 8 months when we decided to apply for a visit visa.

I read tons of forums before I got the nerve to apply and always read the same thing -- that chances are slim to none. But I have to tell you that as long as your fiancee has strong ties to her home country then she has a good chance of getting a visa.

My husband wrote a very good invitation letter for me, and I wrote an explanation letter myself. Be as honest as you can. We told them that we were engaged and getting married in a few months. And that we will be married by the time I enter Canada (we got married in the US), which I also read was a red flag for visit visa applications. I agree with CanV.. Include clear future plans.

Make sure that you also include proof of employment from her job, and papers for the apartment that she owns. If her family is in China, also state in her letter that she has family ties in China eg. Parents or siblings. If she has a bank account, include bank statements also. Also include a travel itinerary of everything you are planning to do or places you are planning to visit while she is here. Be specific.

Just be honest and hope for the best. There are no 100% guarantees for visa application approvals. All we can really do is try.

Good luck!