+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Invitation letters..

SBW

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
Not sure why you are getting no replies. A legitimate question, in my view. One I find myself sharing.

I was in the Philippines with my gf in late 2019 and, on my return to Canada in early 2020, we applied for a TRV for her. It was denied in a nanosecond (not sure the VO took time to read anything submitted and the GCMS notes said not a word about reasons apart from the standard boilerplate reasons set out in the denial letter.

On that occasion, I supplied an invitation letter and set out that I would bear all of her costs of visit and I sent proof of income and assets more than sufficient to keep her in Canada until Hell froze over. Nonetheless, the VO, in his or her wisdom, concluded that my gf would take the opportunity to jump ship and remain in Canada as an illegal for the rest of her days, always in the shadows, not able to work legally, receive medical care, etc. A truly thoughtful, well-reasoned decision.

In any event, covid arrived hard on the heels of the denial, so she would not have been allowed to travel to Canada in any event.

I am back in the Phils now. It opened to tourists for the first time in 2 years on Feb. 10/22. We will be married in 2 weeks. I will start the outland sponsorship process, which no doubt will take years. So, we intend, in our customary foolhardy fashion, to make another wasted effort for a TRV. I am more than 99% certain it will be denied, but, like winning the Powerball lottery, there’s still a chance.

Of course, as all here will be quick to point out, winning the Powerball is a more likely prospect than getting a TRV once married. Any relationship - and certainly marriage - is recognized as the kiss of death for a TRV. Married spouses bear scarlet letters on their foreheads. Known to all VOs as unmitigated liars.

But, as I say, hope springs eternal, so, for the bargain price of $100, we’ll have another go. Biometrics were done 2 years ago, at the cost of $85, plus all the costs of flight to Manila, hotel, etc. So this time is a cakewalk by comparison.

So now, at long last, we come to the point of this post, which will no doubt be met with the same stoney silence that has greeted your query, SBW. Once again, I will pen a very nice and unabashedly honest invitation letter. But, this time, I was thinking to add brief letters from 2 sources: (i) from friends who live close to my home in BC and who have long been aware of my relationship with my gf, and (ii) from my sister and brother-in-law in Ontario, who also know the whole story. The foregoing are happy to say they look forward to meeting my (by then) wife and to having her visit their homes. Maybe they should add they will hogtie her and make sure she gets on an aircraft back to the Philippines at the end of her stay.

Not that I expect any of these entreaties to make a scintilla of difference. I fully expect that, no matter what, we will again be branded as liars and cheats, dishonest to the core. But, we already were given that label in 2020, so repeating it will be of no moment. In fact, I quite expect to be denied spousal sponsorship, having been denied a TRV in 2020, based on a finding that we shamelessly lied then. Why would Canada permit a liar and a cheat to sponsor another liar and cheat as a permanent resident?

Anyway, SBW, maybe you and I can exchange views here.
Thanks for your response Kaibigan. I guess no one has the answer, but it’s ok.

Sorry to hear about your refusal. I recently got approved for my fiancé’s TRV. I believe it’s how the invitation letter and explanation letter is written moreso than just the required documents.

I was told from consultants along with people from this forum that I wouldn’t get approved, but I did! This forum was actually really helpful, taught me the “do’s” and “don’ts” to an extent.

I think you shouldn’t give up hope, put a lot of thought into your letter, address your points of refusal from your 1st application and try again.

Good luck!

SBW

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
Thank you for courteous reply, SBW.

There is, alas, really no rejoinder to the "points of refusal". My fiancé has had no job since the end of 2019. Before that, she worked in the Middle East and HongKong for 8 years. But she sent all her money home to help other siblings to go to school. She did not come home to a big bank account. Since her return, she has been living with an aunt who's American husband died of covid. She essentially acts as maid to her aunt, but not treated like a maid. They are family. So she lives in a nice house, has free room and board, internet, etc. She gets paid a couple hundred dollars a month, which is more than she needs. In return she takes care of the aunt and 2 others living there and the aunt's 7-year-old daughter. Schools have been closed here for 2 years, so she acts as teacher to the girl and helps her with her online learning every day. She owns no land.

She has no record of travel apart from Middle East countries and HK, which we know count for nothing. Never been to any of the big ticket places such as US, UK, etc. So, as i see it, the reasons for refusal remain as robust today as 2 years ago.

I find it annoying (to put it mildly), that those who can supposedly show some financial means, get TRVs. I am often left to wonder just what they prove. Many people here have jobs, but the jobs pay peanuts compared to Canadian wages. Many own land. But the land has little value compared to Canada. I just bought a modest condo in Victoria to provide a home for my son when he starts at Uvic in the fall. Paid over CAD800,000. That's 32 million Philippine pesos. Not many properties in this whole country worth that, but it it's the cost of a condo in Canada. Do VOs get appraisals of Philippine lands, etc.? I am guessing that many who get approved, have no real ties here. If Canada is so tempting, how hard would it be to walk away from a low paying job and a modest real estate holding. Moreover, the land can always be sold later on.

If, as it certainly seems, that having a strong financial incentive to return home counts for so much, then why does Canada not allow for the posting of a cash deposit to secure performance of one's promise to return home? I would quite happily put up $100,000 U.S. or more in cash and tell the VO that the Manila office, or Trudeau, or whoever, that they could forfeit it and use it for a party fund if my fiancé went awol and did not return as and when promised. I would think that would be a fair incentive. How many would agree to writing off $100k so easily? Not I. I would see that as a much greater motivator to return than the siren call of a crappy job and some scrubby land in a poor country.

As far as the advice one gets here, I respect it as honestly given for the most part. But it varies and conflicts quite a bit. Some advise stuffing your invitee's bank account, best if over a protracted period. Long ago, I offered to put $1,000-$2,000 a month into my fiancé's account, for maybe a year or so. She said no one would believe she could earn that sum here. Yet, to show a VO you have a compelling reason to come home, I see even that sum, well below Canadian minimum wages, as not much of a drawing card. I don't know what quantum VOs look for, but I cannot really imagine net earnings of under CAD5,000 a month providing much reason to return. Do all who get approved show at least that much?

The oft given word here is the applicant must show the trip money was earned by him/her. Me saying I have more than enough to cover her costs for 100 years means nothing, some say. So she has to show maybe $20,000 or so in the bank for a short trip, yet it cannot come from me. Not many in this country have that.

I find myself particularly resentful since my marginal income tax rate in Canada is 49.5%. Every year, I pay tens of thousands in income tax alone, yet my government won't let me bring my fiancé for a visit. But anyone who can walk into Canada via Roxham Road, enter illegally, can get red carpet treatment. So, I am angry in the extreme that our government confiscates a large portion of what I work hard for, then treats me and my fiancé as subhumans.

And, as I have alluded to, the stock advice is never admit to your invitee being in any kind of relationship with you. Indeed, the advice I think comes down to don't invite in that case. Let 'em apply on their own. Stay out of sight yourself. Now, how believable will it be, for my fiancé, a single woman from the Phils, about age 40, knowing no one in Canada, to suddenly decide to spend her life savings to take a trip on her own to Canada? Not supposed to say Niagara falls anymore, too overused. Maybe she can say she wants to apply for a non-resident BC hunting license to shoot a grizzly bear. That one has probably not been tried so often. Maybe I can invite her if I buy a guide/outfitter license and invite her in the ordinary course of business, keeping our relationship secret.

As I see it, much of the advice given here comes down to saying that telling lies is ill-advised, but being economical with the truth is the route to success in many cases.
Hey I feel your pain. I’ve been through it. Also from a 2rd world country, no land and bank account was minimal, way less than the $5000- you had.

How long was the length of your proposed trip?