+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intra Company Work Permit - transfer to a new employer

Jun 8, 2016
Hi

I obtained an intra company transfer work permit and landed in Feb 2016 in Montreal. I did not go through the LMIA/LMO process and it was for NOC 0213 (Software Development Manager). I was transferred from USA but am an Indian citizen. I am no longer with the company that did the work permit and I am looking for positions :(.

1) As I understand, I can continue living in Canada till my work permit expires (Sep 2016) but cannot work unless I get authorization to work for new employer. Is that correct?

2) How can I work for a new employer? Current work permit can be extended - with or without LMIA? A new work permit is needed with LMIA?

3) My final goal is to get PR. Any suggestions?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Correct.

2) To work for a new employer, you need a full time job offer from an employer and that employer also needs to obtain an approved LMIA. You must then apply for a new work permit. You cannot start working until you have the new work permit in hand.

3) Start reading here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

Reactions: zardoz
Jun 8, 2016
Thanks for your response.

I need some clarification on your second answer.
According to CIC's 'Check application processing times' page, there seems to be a difference between a new work permit and extending an existing permit with a new employer. Thus my question whether the same work permit (ICT) can be extended or a new work permit is needed.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Surely the ICT was only valid for the company that sponsored in the first place and cannot simply be transferred to some unrelated employer ? You would I believe have to start again with a new application is my view.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ICT_Transfer_WP said:
Thanks for your response.

I need some clarification on your second answer.
According to CIC's 'Check application processing times' page, there seems to be a difference between a new work permit and extending an existing permit with a new employer. Thus my question whether the same work permit (ICT) can be extended or a new work permit is needed.
You'll be applying for a new work permit.

suman612

Dec 9, 2017
I have a question here. Will the initial work permit's details (read education details) be stored into the database of the Canadian Embassy? Why I am asking this is because I am applying for the PR process on my own and at the same time, my company is also sponsoring an ICT. The problenis that my educational records don't match on both the profiles. I had to remove my PG degree to show some fake work experience during that period and bag the job then, but for the PR process i needed to add it back to the EE profile to fetch the bonus points which made my score 430+.
Will the Canadian embassy look into these details so deeply?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I have a question here. Will the initial work permit's details (read education details) be stored into the database of the Canadian Embassy? Why I am asking this is because I am applying for the PR process on my own and at the same time, my company is also sponsoring an ICT. The problenis that my educational records don't match on both the profiles. I had to remove my PG degree to show some fake work experience during that period and bag the job then, but for the PR process i needed to add it back to the EE profile to fetch the bonus points which made my score 430+.
So in a nutshell are you saying that you included fake work experience on one of the applications?

suman612

Dec 9, 2017
You can call it so as i requested my previous company to give me a 3.5 year experience letter instead of the actual 1.5 year I worked for them. I am afraid to include the PG Diploma details now in my Office portal as there is a chance that they can question me. Though my attained PG Diploma degree (at the end) and the 3.5 year previous work experience doesn't coincide, I am afraid to do so. Can I explain my company, in case they question me, that I was hoping to complete my masters, but somehow I couldn't and had to be satisfied with my PG diploma degree only?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - these details are stored in a database. Impossible to say how deeply they will look into these details when you apply for PR - however there's certainly a risk they will and that this discrepancy could cause problems for your PR application. This is a perfect example of why it's such a bad idea to lie in any immigration application.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can call it so as i requested my previous company to give me a 3.5 year experience letter instead of the actual 1.5 year I worked for them. I am afraid to include the PG Diploma details now in my Office portal as there is a chance that they can question me. Though my attained PG Diploma degree (at the end) and the 3.5 year previous work experience doesn't coincide, I am afraid to do so. Can I explain my company, in case they question me, that I was hoping to complete my masters, but somehow I couldn't and had to be satisfied with my PG diploma degree only?
Agree with scylla. It is definitely possible that IRCC will see the lie. If they do, expect to be banned for misrepresentation.