+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intra-Company Transferees - Spouse

aK24

Oct 16, 2017
Hi All,

Looking for some advice. My situation is a little unique (i think).

Im a dual US/CDN citizen. My spouse is a US citizen. We currently live in the US. Im getting transferred to Canada for my job, in the next month. Since im already a CDN citizen, I don't need any visa to work in Canada, but my wife would need one to both reside and work in Canada. Would she be eligible for a work permit as the spouse of an intra-company transferee? I'm pretty sure I would qualify under the "specialized knowledge" category.

I think our other option is to apply for family class sponsorship PR via inland, and apply for an OWP. But not sure what the correct way to enter the country would be as my wife would be entering with the intent to stay as opposed to just "visit".

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

Looking for some advice. My situation is a little unique (i think).

Im a dual US/CDN citizen. My spouse is a US citizen. We currently live in the US. Im getting transferred to Canada for my job, in the next month. Since im already a CDN citizen, I don't need any visa to work in Canada, but my wife would need one to both reside and work in Canada. Would she be eligible for a work permit as the spouse of an intra-company transferee? I'm pretty sure I would qualify under the "specialized knowledge" category.

I think our other option is to apply for family class sponsorship PR via inland, and apply for an OWP. But not sure what the correct way to enter the country would be as my wife would be entering with the intent to stay as opposed to just "visit".

Thanks in advance.
Hi

Your spouse will not qualify for a work permit through your job because as a Canadian citizen, you are not actually an intra-company transferee.

She can enter as a visitor and you guys can then apply for sponsorship.

Reactions: Antoshka

aK24

Oct 16, 2017
Thanks for the response. Would my spouse entering as a visitor be ok given that I am moving there permanently with the rest of my family?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the response. Would my spouse entering as a visitor be ok given that I am moving there permanently with the rest of my family?
It should be fine. She will be entering as a visitor, not moving to or coming to live in Canada; she does not yet have that right. She should carry only a few bags like a normal visitor. Don't volunteer extra information but don't lie if specifically asked about anything. I suggest you guys start the PR app and have it as ready to go as possible when entering, along with the receipt showing you have paid the PR fees in full. If CBSA does ask further, this will show that you guys are following the rules for her to come to live in Canada legally.