+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intra-Company Transfer at Port of Entry

odnivass

Nov 5, 2018
Hi there!

I'm a newbie and I couldn't find the same case/question as mine. If there is already a (recent) answer existing, I would be grateful if you could post me the link.

Quickly my situation:
I'm a German citizen and director/manager of an ecommerce business outside of Canada and we are about to expand further internationally.
In order to kick the business off in the Canadian market, we've decided that I should be on site to support and develop the business.
The company in Canada is already completely incorporated, registered and ready to operate. I'm the director/manager of this Canadian company.

I've all documents collected (business plan, proof of funds, basically all documents which are required when you want to apply on CIC) and I'm ready to submit the application online.
However, now I read that it is also possible to apply at a port of entry when doing an intra-company transfer, which would be my preferred way to do as it is way quicker.

My plan was now to apply for a work permit in an ICT in one of the two ways:
  • online through CIC or
  • at port of entry

My questions:
  1. Is it actually possible to get a work permit at port of entry in my case of an ICT?
  2. I'm asking purely because I don't fully understand the process at the port of entry and how much time an immigration officer will spend to review my case. As this is combined with a new company (already completely incorporated/registered), they might need more time to make a decision?
  3. What happens if the officers denies the work permit? Can I apply online again (after adjusting the application based on the feedback of the IO)?
Thanks for any help!

Reactions: bob_schaf

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To the best of my knowledge it's not possible to obtain an ICT at the border since specific requirements need to be met for this work permit to be issued and border officials are not equipped to perform these extensive reviews. But I could be wrong.

odnivass

Nov 5, 2018
Thanks scylla!
I've done it online in the meanwhile and it went through just fine.
Was just slower than I hoped it will be, but perfectly in line what the processing times on the website told me when I lodged the application.